My PC Reboots itself...Why?

MSNwar

Help Please. Last night my PC started to reboot itself for no known reason. And I could not maintain an internet connection when connected to battle.net (First time connected to battle.net). This setting, it reads the A-Drive whenever I change URLs with my browser (IE). I am getting error messages after the PC reboots itself and that M$ Critical Send Error Box to M$ that refers to the minidump.

I scanned the hard drive for viruses and it came up clean. My most recent software installation was StarCraft BroodWar (Retail) and my most recent download was the patch for StarCraft from blizzard.com

Any ideas please?

MSNwar - The FatMan

it could be your psu.

can we have your full system specs and tell us if u have added any hardware recently plz

also if u could tell us what your 5v vaultage is at underfull load using motherboard monitor or something similar.

My specs are:

PII 450 with fan

ASUS P2B Board

256 MB RAM

2 Hard drives (both 50% full)

3.5 floppy drive

CD writer

CD-ROM drive

Voodoo 3 16MB Video Card

ASUS Board

The systems has been running fine for years now.

This is the first problem I have ever had running XP Pro since I installed it in December 2001.

I forgot to mention earlier that the machine started to lock-up for the first time in years. I was connected to battle.net last night for the first time.

Thanks

MSNwar - The FatMan

I'm not sure, but my PC was locking up after I installed WinXP.

It could run for minuts or hours then in a random moment locks up. As I posted few posts, that it was Video card problem. Somehow XP didn't like my drivers. After I install the latest version of Detonator in my case for nVidia(Hercules) the problem gone.

May be it's not you case, but anyway. try installing the latest drivers for Video Card.

P.S. Original Hercules drivers from Hercules didn't solve the problem in my case, only some Beta Detonator drivers did.

NikNT. Thanks for the suggestion. I do have the latest drivers for the video card installed. All of the hardware have the latest drivers by the way. Over the years the Voodoo 3 has been a problem free card for my system.

As I mentioned in the original thread, XP Pro was installed back in December 2001.

I am more inclined to think it is software oriented?

Thanks NikNT,

MSNwar - The FatMan

Could be anything, the best and worst way is to delet WinXP and the inatall it again. After that, install the programs one by one.

For example when I installed Easy CD Creator 5.0 and update to 5.02. after that I couldn't burn CDs at all, even after uninstalling it.

Oh... I've been installing and uninstalling XP about 10 times back in decembe.

Keap trying, something will come up.

Regards.

NikNT, You have been installing and re-installing WinXP a lot? Here is a cool tip that we at MSFN do religiously.

Try Norton Ghost! You make a image of the hard drive when you have everything the way you want it, even a fresh install of XP, and when things go bleak, simply restore the hard drive.

Some users prefer Drive Image from PowerQuest. Either way, it saves you a lot of time. I tweak my system often, as others here do, and it is a real pain to have to re-tweek everything.

MSNwar - The FatMan

Thanks MSNwar!

That's what I've done in the end. Because of Drive Image 5, I reinstalled it just 10 times not 20.

I have a lot of different soft, so I tried to install it all before Drive Image it and in the end there was something wrong. Especially because Video Card problems I reinstalled it so many times, untill I found out that it's Video Casrd.

Now everything running fine even perfect.

O.K. got to go... see you