Last post link/buttons not working

jcarle

Normally when clicking on the jump to last post links, the page scrolls to the newest post. [Likely due to the upgrade, ] it no longer works for me. I have already tried clearing my cache and cookies. I'm using Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7.

Working fine for me in Firefox...did you try the usual "cleaning of the attic" steps?
Yes, it's nothing to do with me.

I did some further inspection with Fiddler and discovered that this is SEO related. It's a bizarre combination of rewriting that's causing issues for IE it would seem.

Using this thread as an example...

The last post link points to /board/last-post-t137158-l.html which returns

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Location: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=137158&pid=878858&st=0entry878858

In turn, /board/index.php?showtopic=137158&pid=878858&st=0entry878858 returns

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://www.msfn.org/board/archive-windows-98-forums-permanently-t137158-pid-878858.html

Now, following /board/archive-windows-98-forums-permanently-t137158-pid-878858.html finally yields

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Ironically, if I paste /board/index.php?showtopic=137158&pid=878858&st=0entry878858 directly into the address bar, it'll work as expected. So something with the initial 302 is causing the failure. I'm also sort of confused as to why there's a double redirection going on.

It doesn't work for me too. The "Go to First Unread" button.

I reported it, and then as fixed in a couple of threads in this forum, but as soon as I did that, it broke again. :lol:

GL

*Edit: and this post too - after I posted it, it didn't take me to it, just to the top of the page. I don't remember it did this before.

My wild guess is that it's the SEO again - it breaks either old or new links? (created at different times -when it was on or off).

Edited by GrofLuigi

Normally when clicking on the jump to last post links, the page scrolls to the newest post. [Likely due to the upgrade, ] it no longer works for me. I have already tried clearing my cache and cookies. I'm using Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7.
Same here both with IE7/Win XP SP3 and with IE6/Win 98SE. I was not aware Firefox is unaffected, though.

AFAIK, xper is presently trying to sort this out, so it ought to be solved soon.

Same here both with IE7/Win XP SP3 and with IE6/Win 98SE. I was not aware Firefox is unaffected, though.

AFAIK, xper is presently trying to sort this out, so it ought to be solved soon.

Just a quick comment that this problem also affects Opera, not just IE.

The problem coincided with me installing Opera 10 Beta 3 Build 1699 onto my 98SE box and as Firefox 2.0.0.20 remained unaffected I was at first thinking the problem was with the Beta build so I am pleased in some small way that other browsers are giving the same result.

HTH

Colin

Edited by lightning slinger

There's at least three threads regarding this issue :P

It's broken again in opera, following the following Email notification for new post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...view=getnewpost

resolves into:

http://www.msfn.org/board/fileset-9-all-do...88-page-60.html

Which just shows the top of that page of the thread.

Similiarily when you click on [new posts] icon, or when you actually post to a thread -- when the thread's page opens it is at the top of that page.

Edited by Crash&Burn

• 2 weeks later...

It's fixed now (I didn't want to bother ppl with "it's not working for me" over and over again).

As always, nothing has changed in my opera configuration (I synchronize its ini file between several computers and would notice if even a comma had changed). It hasn't changed for months.

Just for the record, the time of the fix was (as I see it on the front page):

Your current time: Sep 10 2009, 06:52 PM

Your last visit was on: Sep 10 2009, 05:24 AM

so if Xper or someone else changed something during this period, that was it. :thumbup

GL

It's fixed now (I didn't want to bother ppl with "it's not working for me" over and over again).
I confirm it. It's now working OK in IE, too. Congratulations, xper, you fixed it! :thumbup And thanks a whole lot! :thumbup
It's broken again! :( At least on IE.

• 2 weeks later...