Never create System Reserved partition?

Yes, I know there are many hacks around this by using existing partitions, going to diskpart etc but is there a way, perhaps via a setting in autounattend.xml or hacking boot.wim so tomfoolery doesn't have to be utilized every time?

Also, before someone complains about 100mb not being that much space, it isn't the space I'm concerned about. I want my os partitions and system partitions to be the same. For instance, this causes trouble in Ghost corporate when one only has the option to image a single partition or a whole disk.

Edited by arctirus

Why would we need to use such an option to begin with?

What is the original uses of making a reseerved partition?

Extra Memory

Mounting disc ( CD-images etc, dmg files )

backup files incase old files get curropted?

There is no way possible for the partition of any system to be same. Since the idea of a partition is to

literally create a second piece of disc space. Take defeating the limitations of FAT32 by parting of areas of

the drives so that they appear as differnt drives.

The only thing I could think of is VIrtual drive. The term used in Alcohol Soft where it creates a virtual DVD

drive with an ulimitive number of options to mount images.

If I was you I would just make a regular partition for multiple purpose usage. Then nicknaming it

MEMORY

Blank_CD

Backup

I nver heard of a partitian that is one in the same of the same partitian other then a virtual drive like when I load a emulator that creates a file that shows up as a partition but only in the program itself.

Why would we need to use such an option to begin with?
Also, before someone complains about 100mb not being that much space, it isn't the space I'm concerned about. I want my os partitions and system partitions to be the same. For instance, this causes trouble in Ghost corporate when one only has the option to image a single partition or a whole disk.
There is no way possible for the partition of any system to be same.

Oh yeah?

g7fRu.png

• 3 weeks later...

Second reason for suppressing this 100 mb partition:

Because of the limitation of maximum 4 primary partitions per hard disk this little partition can be in the way. For example: If you have a large hard disk and want to install several operating systems (XP, Vista, Linux and Windows 7).

Remark:

If you have three for Windows 7 not accessible partitions (e.g. Linux or "hidden" partitions of XP and Vista) then Windows 7 also install the boot manager in last (4th) possible partition.

• 2 weeks later...

Second reason for suppressing this 100 mb partition:

Because of the limitation of maximum 4 primary partitions per hard disk this little partition can be in the way. For example: If you have a large hard disk and want to install several operating systems (XP, Vista, Linux and Windows 7).

Remark:

If you have three for Windows 7 not accessible partitions (e.g. Linux or "hidden" partitions of XP and Vista) then Windows 7 also install the boot manager in last (4th) possible partition.

u could del the partition and fix the boot ?

Edited by aviv00

All four mentioned systems can (and should in mypersonal opinion) be installed on logical volumes inside extended.

You only need one primary active partition for the bootloader(s).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Yes, I know there are many hacks around this by using existing partitions, going to diskpart etc but is there a way, perhaps via a setting in autounattend.xml or hacking boot.wim so tomfoolery doesn't have to be utilized every time?

I have patched setup to allow just this.

fire up a hexeditor and edit winsetup.dll in dvdroot\sources and boot.wim\sources

after the mod you will be able to create a whole disk partition during setup by

manualy creating the partition, if you just click next windows will use the default

partition layout.

32 bit

Comparing files orig_winsetup.dll and mod_WINSETUP.DLL

00077798: 74 EB

64 bit

Comparing files orig_winsetup.dll and MOD_WINSETUP.DLL

00084AC4: 74 EB

premoded winsetup.dll here

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ao423wzdjko/...ed_winsetup.zip

doesnt work with unattended installs, someone better with IDA than me will have to give that a try

look sorta easy if you know assembly.

Edited by untermensch

think the most simple is create the part, let it create the 100mb, del the big part and extend the 100mb out to end or wherever you want

then format it so it don't say system reserved

but right now i'm not multi booting.

Edited by maxXPsoft