Converting workgroup to domain

ElAguila

Since I am not that familiar with the intricacies of SBS 2003 I wanted to get some input before I do this. I am getting ready to convert a small workgoup(4 pc's and 1 server) to a domain. The SBS 2003 machine is running SQL 2000. With this setup, the server currently does not have the dns server service installed. This workgroup uses a small d-link router to connect to dsl and it is configured as the dhcp server. I know that the SBS 2003 creates a domain when it is installed. I want to join the 4 pc's to that domain. This was my initial plan. In order for them to see the domain resources I need to start the dns services on the server. I was going to disable dhcp on the d-link router and enable them on the server. I was then going to have the server forward internet requests to the router. This seemed to be the easiest way to me. Someone told me, and I don't know enough about SBS to know if this is true, that I could leave the d-link as the dhcp server and set the sbs server as the gateway and the machines would be able to see the domain resources and access the internet. Is this true or should I continue with my plan?

It can be done, but it's not as clean and it's harder to administer. I would suggest installing DHCP and DNS on your SBS server, and creating the domain. You can use a forwarder to forward internet requests to the ISPs DNS server(s).

That is what I was thinking of doing. I know how to do it that way so I am going to ignore the "other method" that I had mentioned. I will have the dns service forward internet requests to the ip of the d-link router.