Macromedia Flash registry keys non deletable?

Hello, friends.

On friend machine I made the mistake of installing the Adobe Macromedia Flash, instead of just depacking the installer and copy over the relevant files in Firefox plugins. As result, there are several non-deletable (regeditor refuse to delete them, CCleaner did not delete them as well) registry entries:

2ebv0d2_th.jpg

Both from Flash 9b and 10b versions as you can see in the image. Since regedit refuse the delete the keys AND CCleaner also refuse to delete them, I tried even the Registry Booster, yet this one did not even list them as error. If that is significant, I don't know. I just want them to "go away" and don't know how.

Thinking about Windows PE boot, but not sure if that is safe and if that will allow well me to manipulate with registry... Is not there any other way? There is NOTHING from the flash files in Windows directory at all. All are removed/deleted. I stick with the

flashplayer.xpt

NPSWF32.dll

NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe

files extracted from the install and put in Firefox / Plugins, so I will not ever install that crap again. Never did on my machine and no problemo. But in case someone do, is there a known way to fix this? Using the Adobe utility to clean up is NOT the way to do...

Also installing new version did not seems to fix a thing.

Normally Flash puts a deny permission on it's files. You would run this command to remove it:

EX: %WinDir%\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10b.exe -uninstallUnlock

I wasn't aware that Flash also locked registry keys but that command may also remove the deny permissions from the registry. Since you've removed Flash, just do it manually then. Right click the reg keys, go to permissions and remove the deny permission.

Are you sure regedit under windows 2000 SP4 has the ability to tweak permissions on registers? I never seen that and I quickly went into the regedit to check, but I did not see anything like it...

And uninstalled, well... if I just download these flash installs again and unpack and use the FlashUtil - then it might work/help?

It's been a few years since I used 2K so I don't remember. Perhaps regedt32 in system32 will have the permission commands available. Yeah to your second question.

Well, first at all I tried the FlashUtil from 9.0b and yea! Much better, only two errors now:

28tyt82_th.jpg

So far, so good. However using the Flash 10 utility by the same way ( -uninstallUnlock ) I get this error message:

2dvqsnb.jpg

Something about impossibility of finding a "GetSystemWow64DirectoryA" is not possible in the kernel32.dll ... hmmm.

So, I tried the other options of the FlashUtil9:

-unregisterBroker

-uninstallDelete

-uninstallControlPath

-uninstallBrokerPath

-uninstallSafeVersions

...but with bad result, as the number of errors only increased by one :(

Next try - I try unlocking these registry keys using the regedt32 ;) Let's hope for the best :)

-X- - thanks! Unlocking these registry keys using the regedt32 worked jest great. They all had passed some properties that make then uneditable and so on, so removing this AND setting the permissions to "allow" for everyone and then deleting them fixed the annoying problem :)

Thanks, great to know it is possible to lock some registry to prevent user changing it... :hello: