On-Site Storage Solution

Nerwin

Haha...Well just so you know I am going to buy a hard drive and backup my music and give it to my mom to bring to work. That way I have a off-site backup :)

Yeah I was going to say around $650 for the budget but i'm not a 100 percent sure, I just wanted some ideas.

I think the best thing to do right now is buy a good hard drive and put all that on it for now and then figure out what to do.

You guys gave me some good ideas, which I thank you for that.

but all I know is that this is going to have to be done like really soon. If anything I will build a new desktop and then buy/build file server with raid set up at the same time.

Nah i'll just put my hard drive in the dooms day vault, haha.

I could use my old hardware from my current system but i'm not too sure yet. I may just end up buying the HP MediaSmart Server just so I don't have to worry about it, plus it's sexy XD

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have decided just to use a external hard drive for now.

I have already chosen the hard drive, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136073

But I been trying to find a really good external enclosure for it and I just can't find one that looks pretty and is reliable.

So i'm asking what you guys use for external enclosures and if you like them or what not.

Thanks.

Yeah, I have but the reviews seem kind of disappointing.

I have been thinking just to get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817145167 and get like a 500gb hard drive or the 640gb hard drive and use that.

Then I would partition it in half and then I have two 320gb drives :P

But the only thing I am worried about is it getting two hot and over heating. Thats one of my main concerns. I'm also worried about the power connector coming loose too. since this drive will be on ALL the TIME I need something that is going to last, you know what I mean?

Edited by Nerwin

Then I would partition it in half and then I have two 320gb drives :P
Watch out for this.... you have ONE drive. You've just partitioned it in two. The drive is the thing that will fail, not the partitions (not unless you start doing some really strange things to it).
But the only thing I am worried about is it getting two hot and over heating. Thats one of my main concerns. I'm also worried about the power connector coming loose too. since this drive will be on ALL the TIME I need something that is going to last, you know what I mean?
I've got a WD5000AAKS in my enclosure (that same one you linked) and heat is not an issue. Neither is the power connector coming loose (unless you're fiddling with it all the time). The enclosure sits on my shelf and has been running 24/7 for... oh... a year and a half now? ;)

Okay, I might just get the 640gig because it's only like 10 dollars more than the 500gig and I'm getting 140 gigs more!

And since the actual size of the device is the same, unless the 640 Gb has an additional platter when compared to the 500 Gb, you have greater chances that the "finer pitch" with which data is recorded might be a cause for data loss.

The whole idea of a backup is that it should be reliable: reliability, right now, is mainly given by redundancy of devices.

jaclaz