98FE on imac is it posible?

helpdesk98

I don't know a whole lot about mac PCs, but I recently came across an old imac I plugged it in and fired it up it works fine. So I started looking at what specs I could locate hears what I found 256mb ram, 2 3gb hard drives. I don't know if it is using an intel processor or a risk processor. My question is it possible to install Windows 98 FE on it.

It definitely has a PowerPC processor. Emulating Windows 98 on there will be incredibly slow (i.e., it won't be able to run anything properly), so your best bet would be to either use it as it is or sell it/give it to someone else. If you decide to sell or trade it, please be sure to do so without involving MSFN or its members so as to not violate our forum rules.

Yep, it's gotta be PowerPC. I ran Qemu once on a PowerPC G3 with 160mb (32 to Qemu), for 98SE. Painful can't even begin to describe the performance.

And gamehead, would it be a violation of the rules for him to sell a Mac on MSFN? Or to sell anything?

And gamehead, would it be a violation of the rules for him to sell a Mac on MSFN? Or to sell anything?
According to the forum rules, yes, which is why I brought it up:
13. No user shall, by any means:

1. Sell, trade, or give away hardware, software, or any other goods whatsoever.
  2. Offer any type of paid service or services to other members of the community. Offering any type of service in exchange for other goods or services is also not permitted.
  3. Directly request donations or otherwise solicit forum members for financial assistance. If you have an external site, attachment, download or other such resource for which you would like to solicit donations, references or links to external sites that give information on where a member might donate are acceptable, but linking directly to PayPal or otherwise directly soliciting members is not tolerated. The only exceptions to this rule are for member projects directly hosted by MSFN, or for projects where MSFN hosts the main support forums for member projects.

MSFN does not support any type of trade and shall not be held accountable. Any violation of this rule may result in an immediate ban with no further warning.

You might be able to install Debian GNU/Linux on it. Debian supports lots of different architectures. With LXDE or IceWM for the GUI the performance should be decent, and it will be a lot more secure and stable than Windows 98.

Phil

What about VirtualPC? I remember VirtualPC 7 ran WinXP halfway decent on my old iMac running OS 10.2. Hopefully it would run Win98 halfway decent?

IIRC, VirtualPC 7 (the last on Microsoft Made), only ran on a G4 or better. This machine sounds like a G3.

IIRC, VirtualPC 7 (the last on Microsoft Made), only ran on a G4 or better. This machine sounds like a G3.
Source: Amazon.com
  • Apple Mac OS X version 10.2.8 or later; Mac OS X version 10.3 is required for the Power Mac G5
  • 700 MHz native* PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
  • 3 GB free hard-disk space
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 1024 x 768 resolution monitor displaying thousands of colors
  • CD-ROM drive (or connection to a local area network if installing a network)
  • Mouse or compatible pointing device

Wow that's some memories. Back in 2001, a co-worker of mine got NT4 installed on a Mac. I forget which one tho. That dude was nuts. He ended up being one of those Apple Store Geniuses, iirc.

NT versions prior to 4 ran natively on PowerPC. I don't know how they messed with old world ROMs/new world ROMs, but are you sure it wasn't 3.51?

And gamehead, I didn't know that, but there's very few G3s clocked equal or faster than 700MHz

It seems like NT 4.0 did run on the PowerPC according to this:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-n...erpc/23173.html

Okay, I've just confirmed it. I have Windows NT 4.0 OEM which I just went and got. On the CD it reads:

"Disc contains code to run on Windows NT-compatible 486, Pentium, MIPS R4x00, Alpha, PowerPC, and Pentium PRO systems."

Phil

*sigh* I was hoping I could avoid posting this, but there was a copy of Windows made (modified by a third-party), back in the day, that would run on Macs. I had it running on my Mac clone (pre-iMac, 1997), and to be quite honest, it didn't run that well, but was somewhat usable.

SoftWindows 98: http://www.amazon.com/FWB-Software-LLC-SW9...s/dp/B00004DTSR

I think I've still got a copy laying around somewhere... I should see if it runs on newer hardware (PowerPC-based, of course).

*sigh* I was hoping I could avoid posting this, but there was a copy of Windows made (modified by a third-party), back in the day, that would run on Macs. I had it running on my Mac clone (pre-iMac, 1997), and to be quite honest, it didn't run that well, but was somewhat usable.

SoftWindows 98: http://www.amazon.com/FWB-Software-LLC-SW9...s/dp/B00004DTSR

I think I've still got a copy laying around somewhere... I should see if it runs on newer hardware (PowerPC-based, of course).

Isn't that just an emulator with everything pre-configured? It'd be impossible to natively boot an x86 OS on a PPC, and they certainly can't port something without the source code.

It's very interesting.

And pcalvert is right, NT 4 does indeed run on PowerPC processors. I'm really giving poor answers here...

Wow that's some memories. Back in 2001, a co-worker of mine got NT4 installed on a Mac. I forget which one tho. That dude was nuts. He ended up being one of those Apple Store Geniuses, iirc.

NT versions prior to 4 ran natively on PowerPC. I don't know how they messed with old world ROMs/new world ROMs, but are you sure it wasn't 3.51?

And gamehead, I didn't know that, but there's very few G3s clocked equal or faster than 700MHz

It was NT4 workstation for sure. The computer involved a Voodoo 3 PCI card and a hacked MacOS ROM. After NT was installed, my friend said, it would boot, but it locked up before getting to the desktop. I don't have the exact details of how he did it but I remember trading the Voodoo card to him for a GeForce MX and $20. ;)