SP2 vs. SP3

Engineering

I've heard some live under SP2 and refuse to yield... is there any real security of performance gain by sticking with SP2 and refraining from SP3?

Which of the two do you like best? And what is your logical (hopefully reinforced) reason to have that preference?

If I still had SP2 I would slit my wrist keeping up with all the updates that it requires. :w00t:

Based on seat of the pants, I noticed no change in performance between the two.

I used SP3 for few days - experienced some good problems - removed it. The SP3 creates conflicts with some processes of OFFICE 2007, especially OUTLOOK 2007. I was not comfortable using it so finally removed it and came back to SP2.

Also, one of the issues with SP3 is that you won't find some MS progams in ADD/REMOVE if you had installed them before installing SP3, example IE versions above 6. So if you wish to reinstall IE 8, for example, you will have to remove SP3 before it appears in the ADD/REMOVE for uninstallation... Pretty time consuming...

Eventually, I felt that its better to stick with SP2 rather than going on to SP3 to keep on facing regular problems...

You may find some good comments at http://www.reviewsaurus.com/tips-tricks/wi...stall-problems/

Also, check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717 . You can understand how many problems it can create.

--

Best Regards,

Arun Kumar M.

Signed: Sunday, August 16, 2009, 2:02:39 AM IST

The SP3 creates conflicts with some processes of OFFICE 2007, especially OUTLOOK 2007.

Nonsense. It does no such thing. I've seen a lot of XP SP3 boxes running MS Office 2007 with no issues, with daily usage of Outlook 2007. I don't know how could anyone even think that Microsoft would have released SP3, without noticing it breaks MS Office (as if no one had ever used MS Office with any of the betas or RCs)

As for having problems with SP3, the only issue I ever encountered is a Wifi driver that needed to be updated. Hardly the nightmare the previous poster seems to make it out to be.

I can't think of a single valid reason to stay with SP2.

SP3 does nothing for performance like Vista SP1 did, but when slip streamed into a SP2 disk, means you don't need a huge amount of updates if you reinstall windows! Also, my slip streamed install of XP has so far cause absolutely no problems with anything! Office 2007 Pro works fine, as do the collection of over 100 games I own and numerous standard programs. And I know it is more secure so thats the main reason SP3 came out.

sometimes, installing an SP onto a heavily tweaked install can cause problems. hence why some people refuse to budge from them.

installing with a fresh install and upgrading to SP3 (or even better, using an XPSP3 disc to install) will be painless.

don't believe the hype :D

sometimes, installing an SP onto a heavily tweaked install can cause problems. hence why some people refuse to budge from them.

installing with a fresh install and upgrading to SP3 (or even better, using an XPSP3 disc to install) will be painless.

don't believe the hype :D

Exactly. nLite does the SP3 slipstream, then it is a good to go install and SP3 should cause no troubles at all.

I used SP3 for few days - experienced some good problems - removed it. The SP3 creates conflicts with some processes of OFFICE 2007, especially OUTLOOK 2007.

No it doesn't.

I like Sp3 a lot. It took me a bit of a while to move to it, but I found it faster (especially on machines with less RAM, it seems to stay quite fast even during a lot of Hard Disk Activity - meaning machines that have lower RAM have a perception of being faster) and more stable. SP3 so far is the pinnacle of XP.

I personally disable Automatic Updates anyway.

Edited by JustinStacey.x

I like Sp3 a lot.
I've used SP3 for over a year or so, and I like it too. It works good and stable. I had a problem when I first had it on my computer. People here helped me with it and done! I don't have a chance to ask about any problems any more, since then!