[SOLVED] how do I get the right graphics driver to install? XP x64

NightOwl

This is the only important driver I'm stuck on for my XP x64 installation.

Normally a driver like that would be installed post install, but my problem is that the VGA Device will not run properly post install, thus the driver install says there is no device for the driver. Reason being, I'm guessing, that the device isn't even running post install.

How would I go about slipstreaming the graphics driver and force installing it before first Windows startup?

BTW I only have a little experience with nLite, but I'm a quick learner usually. If some other program or guides will be better, then I'm all for that.

P.S. It's a HP laptop so I get zero driver support from them. But Intel release notes clearly state that the driver does support the Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset and it's an x64 driver package. This is the log from setupapi.log

Platform ID = 2 (NT)

Service Pack = 2.0

Suite = 0x0100

Product Type = 1

Architecture = amd64

[2009/08/15 02:03:49 820.236]

#-198 Command line processed: "E:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe" /s E:\WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc

#I060 Set selected driver.

#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): pci\ven_1002&dev_9480&subsys_3624103c&rev_00,pci\ven_1002&dev_9480&subsys_3624103c,pci\ven_1002&dev_9480&cc_030000,pci\ven_1002&dev_9480&cc_0300

#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): pci\ven_1002&dev_9480&rev_00,pci\ven_1002&dev_9480,pci\ven_1002&cc_030000,pci\ven_1002&cc_0300,pci\ven_1002,pci\cc_030000,pci\cc_0300

#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTDEVICE.

#W383 "igxp64.PNF" migrate: PNF Language = 0409, Thread = 0438.

#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): pci\ven_1002&dev_9480&subsys_3624103c&rev_00,pci\ven_1002&dev_9480&subsys_3624103c,pci\ven_1002&dev_9480&cc_030000,pci\ven_1002&dev_9480&cc_0300

#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): pci\ven_1002&dev_9480&rev_00,pci\ven_1002&dev_9480,pci\ven_1002&cc_030000,pci\ven_1002&cc_0300,pci\ven_1002,pci\cc_030000,pci\cc_0300

#I022 Found "PCI\CC_0300" in E:\WINDOWS\inf\display.inf; Device: "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"; Driver: "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"; Provider: "Microsoft"; Mfg: "(Standard display types)"; Section name: "vga".

#I023 Actual install section: [vga]. Rank: 0x00002006. Driver date: 10/01/2002. Version: 5.2.3790.1830.

[2009/08/15 02:09:38 820.238]

If any more info is needed, I'll check this frequently.

Thanks

Edited by NightOwl

Hi,

I didn't analyze your logs in detail, but please note that there are two several generations of mobile Intel Graphic chipsets/drivers and they are not interoperable (meaning you can't use the driver from one on another). Some of them have similar names and I've made the mistake of mixing/matching them before.

I think this is yours

Another candidate

This is the least likely one IMO

*edit: I couldn't find the correct driver on Intel's site. I'll search some more. Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset, right?

*edit2: Yep, it's the first one. Sorry for the confusion.

*edit3: Are you sure it's not an ATI Radeon? :o That's what pci\ven_1002&dev_9480 (in your log) says!!!

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

That first link is the one I have tried several times to install in every way possible. I even tried slipstreaming in into the OS install disk using nLite, with no luck. I also tried taking the component search from the .inf for the VISTA driver for this laptop. No luck either. It's a HP Pavilion DV7-2135eo btw

Yes, you are correct in there being an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (M96) Graphics card in the laptop, but the two are somehow connected... or at least I thought they were. When I try to install the ATI Catalyst control it says no driver for device.

Chipset

Detected Chipset:

Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset

Chipset Components

Memory Controller:

Mobile Intel® 82GM45 Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

I/O Controller:

Intel® 82801IMB Intel® I/O Controller Hub (ICH9M-B) SATA Controller found in AHCI mode

Integrated Graphics:

This chipset supports integrated graphics.

One thing I noticed is that my XP x64 installation uses in IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller --- While my VISTA installation uses

Intel® ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2929

Could this be the thing messing with everything else?

Edited by NightOwl

First of all, it seems to me that indeed you should concentrate on the Radeon. As per your log from Intel Identifation Utility, the chipset supports integrated graphic, but does it mean it's installed? Have the chip(s) been put on the motherbard? I doubt they would put two graphic cards (unless it's a very high-end laptop). Are two different devices shown in Vista? Note, on my Intel Mobile 4 integrated GFX there are two devices with the same name (Intel Series 4...), I'm not talking about that.

You will be sure if you see the properties of the display adapter (even if it still says Unknown or Standard VGA) in Device Manager, select the Details tab and copy the Hardware Ids. But as the log already said, that's pci\ven_1002&dev_9480 = Radeon.

Or use some hardware identification utility like Everest.

From what I searched, this is a case of manufacturer's limited support for XP64. On HP's site, there is a Radeon driver for Vista x64, while they offer only Intel's for XP32. They don't have anything for XP64 at all.

Maybe you could extract the information from the Vista64 driver listed on their site:

ATI Radeon Graphics Driver

03-2009 8.563.1.3000 B

and try to locate the equivalent from ATI (I doubt the exact driver will work on XP64, but you could try).

Also, graphic cards manifacturers often leave the support for OEM drivers to the manufacturers, i.e. their "Unified" drivers (in this case Catalyst) don't support OEM cards like yours. I am not 100% sure if this applies to your laptop, but if it does, and having in mind the above issue (HP's non-support for XP64) you might be out of luck. In the old times we would just edit the infs, but with x64 Windows' driver signature enforcement, I don't know if that's still possible (it might be, I haven't encountered the need to). One of the last hopes would be to try alternative drivers (like Omega) and their forums.

About the SATA AHCI controller, I think it's just different strings in the infs - not significant. Even if it were, that's a separate device.

GL

You are correct and thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. It seems that with all the driver installs I completely forgot to try installing the Radeon HD 4650 driver through device manager. When using the exe, it will not install, saying there is no compatible device.

It worked :) I thought I needed a complete reinstall after installing it, because on first restart nothing worked, 100% CPU, to the point where I in the end just had to hold down the power button to turn off the laptop. But second time it started great and so far everything works.

In case someone googles their way here with similar issue, the driver pack + catalyst control from ATI has the filename: 9-7_xp64_dd_ccc_enu.exe and I'm almost 100% sure I got it from http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst...64/radeonx-xp64

You will need first run the exe to get it extracted to your HDD then to go to Device Manager and expand Display Adapters, right click "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" -> update driver -> No, not this time -> Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) -> Don't search. I will choose the driver to install -> Have disk -> Browse to (Extracted folder)\Support\9-7_xp64_dd_ccc_enu\Driver\Driver\XP6A_INF\CA_84681.inf -> Press OK twice and then choose ATI Radeon HD 4650 from the list (There are three listings, I chose the first one). Press next and then Yes, when getting the update driver warning.

NOTE: This is not a recommended driver. It isn't made for the specifically for the Mobility range, so you do this at your own risk. I had to restart twice to get it to run properly.

You need to have net.Framework 2.0 installed. I read that somewhere while researching drivers.

Edited by NightOwl

You are correct and thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. It seems that with all the driver installs I completely forgot to try installing the Radeon HD 4650 driver through device manager. When using the exe, it will not install, saying there is no compatible device.

My pleasure. :)

Yeah, you found the simplest solution. :thumbup

GL