Is there Free Anti-virus I can centrally manage?

I am completely rebuilding my small home network. I have gotten very tired If updating 10+ machines regularly, and managing permissions to 8tb ish of shared drives spread across a half-dozen machines is driving me crazy. I figure setting up a domain and managing it will actually be a lot less work in the end. Plus I get to re-learn all the domain stuff again if i use one at home. This opens up the possibility to have single sign on, centralized patching, centralized driver/installer storage, a protected environment for torrenting (sandboxing it and managing it remotely) and hopefully centralized Anti-virus updating.

I think it should look something like this:

3 gaming

1 Media Center

1 Spare (used for Video compression and testing)

6 laptops

1 ESXi Server running VMs:

Domain Controller/Alt DNS

Alt Domain Controller/DNS/Alt DHCP

WDS/WSUS/*Anti-virus*/DHCP

Storage Server

Torrent Client Machine

I have been happy enough with AVG over the years that I wasn't motivated to look for anything else. BUT when i talked to them about how to manage the clients on my PERSONAL network (remember, this is for education and personal use only) they basically told me to eat dirt. I would need a server license for every 2k8 box, PLUS a special one for the AV server PLUS i could not use AVG free on my clients because they cant be centrally managed. All this took a few emails and a few phone calls, most of which i was forgotten on, or actually hung up on. Needless to say, I now have the motivation I need to search for another product.

Does anyone know of a free product that will meet my needs? I am willing to purchase a license for the AV server itself, that is not unreasonable. But I'm not willing to pay for 15 more licenses that do nothing more than the free version, except NOT go online for patches. Centralized scheduling, network status overviews and push updates are a bonus. But what I'm really after is the ability to point all my clients to my server, and have it manage definitions.

The Prophes0r

• 3 weeks later...