xpize 5 Release 5

W3bbo

First off, thanks for continuing and improving the work os Xpero, this really brings a shine to XP :-) I'd like however to report two icons that weren't replaced (one of them is probably outside the scope of xpize but still).

Anyway the first one if the windows update icon (i had the same problem with the last version Xpero made). The other one is the Nvidia PhyX icon. Find them in the attached pic.

post-94084-1250447073_thumb.png

I think, selected theme preview should use a real-scaled image to feel the difference.

Hmm, the preview has to fit into the Installer Window...

Maybe a double click on the preview itself could launch a new window, which shows the screenshot in full size.

I've been out since Friday evening, I only just got back.

So here's the post-mortem:

• System Restore causes the installer to throw an unhandled exception on systems without the system restore files
    • As an aside, I'll stress that there really isn't any point to using nLite for removing Windows features, it only hampers stability since many programs expect these features (like System Restore) to be present as they would be normally

[*]Luna Element shutdown options screen is broken

• This is my mistake, because shell32.dll and msgina.dll use similar (but not identical) files, I thought I'd save a few kilobytes of space by reusing them. I shouldn't have.

[*]Darkside doesn't patch the background of the shutdown prompt window (which isn't the same problem as above)

• I honestly don't know what's behind this.

[*]Installer problem with clicking Back, Forward, and Simple

[*]Uninstallation doesn't prompt you to restart and isn't properly localised

[*]Some strings aren't localised still

[*]Update the Downloadable Tools

[*]And doomangel has asked me to do a check-in to TFS

And here's the request for new fixes:

• A 48x48 sized icon for Windows Updates
    • Should be easily done by composing the Windows Flag onto the existing world icon

[*]48x48 NVidia PhysX icon

• I don't want to change this one, NVidia change their stuff a lot so it'd quickly be made obsolete

* The "< Back" button problem is still there. - Maybe you can do an refresh for the progress bar page (so the it always shows 0% at the beginning), if it is entered, so that there is no confusing undocumented delay anymore.

Can you give me more details on this problem?

* If under component page no visual style is selected, xpize installes the selected style from simple page anyway.

But it should be possible to select the icons and extras only - with no installation of a visual style.

Thanks, I'll look into this. Note that visual styles are actually under System Icons\Extras\Visual Styles and not under each colour scheme as they were in version 4.

Additionally: it should be possible to select more than one visual style on component page - xpize should copy all selected visual styles to the "ressources" folder, but install only the one wich was selected on simple page.

It already does. If you disable a visual style operation it will not be installed, but if you check a VS it will be installed, but only the bottom-most one will be made the "active" visual style (note these are *.msstyles things, not the Resource Bitmap things)

• As an aside, I'll stress that there really isn't any point to using nLite for removing Windows features, it only hampers stability since many programs expect these features (like System Restore) to be present as they would be normally

Well, its also possible to deactivate the System Restore Feature in Windows - nLite is not necessary for that.

It did this on my old system which had only 30 GB hard drive space to safe every possible bit.

But its right: on current HDDs this feature should be activated, because it makes a lot of sense (but only for system partition, not for the partition with the private files! - you don't want to loose your latest presentation, because you had the idea to set your system 1 week back.)

Only for people with a professional backup solution, this feature might be a sensless "performance killer"

• Darkside doesn't patch the background of the shutdown prompt window

• I honestly don't know what's behind this.

I did choose Luna Element as visual style. This prompt window was updated - but it looks more like Embedded style instead of Luna Element (please see attached screenshot)

Maybe this information can help you...

post-216733-1250469401_thumb.png

Edited by MrBusty

thankyou W3bbo for moving top of logo for right to left

this dont see to translate

about tools of xpize its working with different languge?

i want changing some line and see preview in wizard

Edited by hessam

Well, its also possible to deactivate the System Restore Feature in Windows - nLite is not necessary for that.

It did this on my old system which had only 30 GB hard drive space to safe every possible bit.

But its right: on current HDDs this feature should be activated, because it makes a lot of sense (but only for system partition, not for the partition with the private files! - you don't want to loose your latest presentation, because you had the idea to set your system 1 week back.)

Only for people with a professional backup solution, this feature might be a sensless "performance killer"

That's not what I meant. When you use nLite to disable System Restore it physically removes the system restore DLL files (saving you no more than a couple of megabytes worth of space). If you merely disable System Restore the proper way the program won't crash.

thankyou W3bbo for moving top of logo for right to left

this dont see to translate

about tools of xpize its working with different languge?

i want changing some line and see preview in wizard

The text shown "Makes your Windows XP..." is in the xpize package XML file and not the installer itself, it isn't possible to localise it at present. Thanks for pointing out the "Simple" button, I'll add that to the list. I must have overlooked it.

The Anolis Tools are not currently localised, mainly because it would take a lot of effort and because I change them a lot more than the Installer it's hard to keep the translations up to date. It's a very low priority for me.

IE8 support is incomplete in all styles, but in darkside it's nice!

please improve it.

look some print's:

InPrivate options:

xpize01.jpg

and

xpize04.jpg

Download dialog:

xpize02.jpg

and the toolbar (the most non XPized of IE8):

xpize03.jpg

In Error Report dialog, i still can see a non xp animation:

xpize05.jpg

I'm just trying to help!

EDIT: I've found i nice animation to substitute the old Error Report animation.

See in attachments

Edited by Marru_xD

The text shown "Makes your Windows XP..." is in the xpize package XML file and not the installer itself, it isn't possible to localise it at present. Thanks for pointing out the "Simple" button, I'll add that to the list. I must have overlooked it.

I did report this also - and there are some other hidden strings left too.

The Anolis Tools are not currently localised, mainly because it would take a lot of effort and because I change them a lot more than the Installer it's hard to keep the translations up to date. It's a very low priority for me.

Yes, I think the tools are used by very enthusiastic users only, which mostly understand English pretty well. (actually I think it wouldn't be that bad, if xpize itself wasn't localized, since most users will be fine with English probably - of course xpize becomes cooler, if it is in the users native language though :)

But it would be good to update the Anolis Installer from the tools, to be able to check the translation there - because it has some additional screens, which are hidden in xpize.

Edited by MrBusty

dont see good translated text in the page of installaton options

post-166727-1250471831_thumb.png

What do you mean with that?

Is is not suitable, that the contols are placed on the right side?

- I think W3bbo did just set the contols font alignment to right-aligned - and the control itself puts the control elements on the right side.

If this is what you mean, W3bbo could leave the alignment left-aligned I guess.

But there is another problem visible in that screenshot: the Next button has an arrow, which points in the wrong direction - maybe its also an alignment issue...?

PS: there is a similar problem on the screen shot from this post:

The Next button has two arrows (maybe one was added by the translator). - Which directions is right one??? ;)

Edited by MrBusty

What do you mean with that?

Is is not suitable, that the contols are placed on the right side?

- I think W3bbo did just set the contols font alignment to right-aligned - and the control itself puts the control elements on the right side.

If this is what you mean, W3bbo could leave the alignment left-aligned I guess.

But there is another problem visible in that screenshot: the Next button has an arrow, which points in the wrong direction - maybe its also an alignment issue...?

PS: there is a similar problem on the screen shot from this post:

The Next button has two arrows (maybe one was added by the translator). - Which directions is right one??? ;)

Arabic and Farsi are both "right-to-left" languages, as opposed to English and German which are left-to-right. For this reason software should re-position text so that it's right-aligned to make it easier to read. This is how Windows Vista looks if you turn on RTL mode, for example. The Windows checkbox and radio-button controls both swap the position of the checkbox part when RTL mode is enabled (which isn't the same thing as alignment).

I will say that I'm not sure what the issue is that Hessam is describing, the text looks like its being displayed fine. I'll need more details. Unfortunately I don't know any other Farsi or Arabic-literate people who can assist me.

Edited by W3bbo