Any advise, hint or tips for Windows 7 x64?

ajua

As vague (and noob) as my question seems to be, I will migrate to x64 bits with Windows 7 after longs delays even after reading lots of comments on how people seem to like Vista x64 I went with the x86 version since it came out. Most likely I will put it on my main desktop this weekend as the lonely OS.

I'm wondering if there is something to know about x64 besides drivers for 64bit and "optimized for" applications.

How was it for any of you guys this migration? From the home-user standpoint. Are the current Intel (chipset, storage manager), ATI, Nvidia, Realtek drivers good enough to take advantage of 64bit?

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit: My unattended installation went smoothly. I made some new custom installers for x64 apps that I use and they are working great.

I would like to see if the performance of some x64-optimized apps like Photoshop, Premiere and some video encoders is bigger than they 32-bit counterparts.

I'm restoring my backups, but so far, the experience is great. Besides the well-known fact that we "can't" use 64-bit web browsers because of Flash support for x64, almost all (I haven't tested all of them) my applications are working just fine.

Edited by ajua

there is no "migration"

in my experience, most drivers worked with xp 64bit and nearly everything works with vista/7 64bit

windows update in windows 7 will take care of nearly everything you need, just grab the graphics drivers online

Edited by ripken204

when i wwent from xp pro to vista i was cursing my machine to death for the first month. then i went to vista 64 and made a few hardware changes.

along the way came sp 2 and other improvements. i switched to the win 7 rc a few weeks back and love it to death.

im here now trying to learn some tips for the RTM to modify it to my liking.

do it- you wont regret it. :thumbup

when i wwent from xp pro to vista i was cursing my machine to death for the first month. then i went to vista 64 and made a few hardware changes.

along the way came sp 2 and other improvements. i switched to the win 7 rc a few weeks back and love it to death.

im here now trying to learn some tips for the RTM to modify it to my liking.

do it- you wont regret it. :thumbup

My hardware is pretty much up to date.

I already have my unattended installations of Windows 7 x86. I just need to take some time to make the x64 version.

Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow night.

when i say hardware update, it was because of the other software i was running, not vista.

i build these things to do stage shows for a living, and at the time video dj software was a brand new thing, and according to the company that made it they said it would run on a single core cpu at 1.4 ghz or better, running 1 gig of ram.

Yeah right.

so here i am trying to make it run on a dual core with 4 gig- on a ati 780 chipset,and it dont.

scrapped the whole rig and started over.

now its a amd9850 quad, black edition i might add, 8 gig of 1066mhz ram, im using the ati 790gx and 4tb worth of music library under it. and runs any kind of 64 bit os i want

video runs thru this thing like water now. :sneaky:

turns out the only problem i was fighting was the realtek hd audio, couldent do what the video dj software was trying to make it do, since it has acceleration of its own. so i switched to the asus xonar dx audio card.

end of problem, yeah i think im up to date., but i really want a phenom ii

Edited by madmanjohn

I already have my unattended installations of Windows 7 x86. I just need to take some time to make the x64 version.

Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow night.

Consider reading this post before you do.

Don't worry, I have plenty of experience with unattended installations.

However, that post in your blog about adding multiple OS's to an USB key might come handy for some tasks I have to do with many computers and different operative systems.

I just started to modify my WIM of Windows 7 x64 to begin my unattended process.