Using old IE DLLs with Explorer

Queue

As a preface, I know this information is here on the MSFN forums SOMEWHERE but I can't, for the life of me, find it. From what I understand, installing IE6 on Win98SE tends to make Explorer have issues where it gets slower and slower when used to browse files. This wasn't a problem for me until recently, and it's not a BIG problem, but one I'd like to address. I recall reading some way to separate the DLLs so that Explorer uses the old ones (IE5.5?) and yet IE6 still uses the newer ones and works fine.

Does someone who knows what I'm talking about, and is willing, able to describe what needs to be done? I'd like to isolate the process with a very concise guide so that anyone else searching for this information will have a simple guide to follow, including myself.

Of course, if someone has a link to the information, that would also work. =)

Queue

Edited by Queue

Thank you! That was exactly the thread here I remembered, I just couldn't find the darn thing. I read them thoughroughly and wound up downloading the file you'd attached in the Maxthon forums. I used my own IE6 files since one of them was newer than the ones in said attachment. =)

So far so good; I'd like to point out no loss of Java security zone settings for me, but I am using the decrepit Microsoft JavaVM (instead of Sun's), if that makes a difference. I won't know for a while if it cures what ails me as it takes a while (usually multiple hours of moderate to heavy Explorer use for browsing folders) for the sort of slowdown in Explorer I was experiencing to buildup.

I was a little worried when the change reset my folder views to as-a-web-page and whatnot, but changes made after the reset stuck, so no complaints here (I use details view sorted by type).

For anyone else reading this, follow the Maxthon thread. The ultimate solution is to put the IE6 DLLs in the Internet Explorer folder, and put the IE5.5 DLLs in the System folder. (browseui.dll and browselc.dll)

Queue

Edit - Going to Windows Update, it yells at me about update 916281, is this a side effect from putting the IE5.5 DLLs in the system folder? It's not something I care about: I rely on MSFN for unofficial updates. ^_^ However, I wanted to confirm that was the case so I don't go hunting to make sure I'm not missing some newer file versions.

Edited by Queue

Thank you!

Edit - Going to Windows Update, it yells at me about update 916281...

No problem Queue... :)

Yep... it's a side effect of the "replacement"...

You can ignore it...

Yeah... I tried to update my post at the Maxthon forums... the zips and specific KB #'s are out-of-date... but the thread has been archived and can't be modified... :(

Edited by whatever420