iPod touch and that blasted new homepage

JustinStacey.x

Ever since we've got the new homepage (which I think is godawful tbh) my iPod touch fails to log in. I was lying in bed last night all cozied up and I thought I'd check some posts on here but after three attempts (I wasn't mistyping my pass) i gave up.

What gives? Is this an Apple Safari issue in general or just an iPod/Phone issue?

Ever since we've got the new homepage (which I think is godawful tbh) my iPod touch fails to log in. I was lying in bed last night all cozied up and I thought I'd check some posts on here but after three attempts (I wasn't mistyping my pass) i gave up.

What gives? Is this an Apple Safari issue in general or just an iPod/Phone issue?

Definitely an issue with your iPod touch. Works fine on my iPhone 2G, iPhone 3GS, and my friend's iPod touch.

What version OS / firmware are you running?

My iPod has been acting a little strangely recently, it seems to have slowed down a heck of a lot since first getting it, some actions seem a little jerky and while browsing the web the music occasionally skips for a split second. I also decided to switch it off totally a month or two ago and ever since then one or two of my apps just refused to open.

I should probably reset it but the small annoying things are far outweighed by the hassle of having to set it up all again if I do have to reset.

I must admit though, this seems to happen to me with any Apple product I get; my Mac Mini that I had in 2007/8 eventually slowed down so much even after a reformat that I noticed it in everything I did and ended up getting rid of it. Apple's mobile device market does seem a lot better to me than their outrageously overpriced computer market and I am hoping to get an iPhone soon but am I the only one who has this trend of devices which seem to be ever slowing down?

...am I the only one who has this trend of devices which seem to be ever slowing down?
Nope, you're definitely not the only one. My iPhone 2G slowed down quite a bit after loading 20+ apps onto it, and a tiny bit more as soon as I loaded 3.0 onto it (not sure why), which is why I opted to go for the new iPhone 3GS - SO much faster and definitely worth it. :thumbup

My MacBook Pro, on the other hand, is just as quick as the day I got it. Maybe your Mac mini was a dud?

I think it's a cross between my Mac Mini being a dud and me trying to squeeze 600 horsepower out of a Metro, yanno?

I got the late 2007 one that had 1.86GHz Core2Duo processor with 1GB of RAM. It was ok running OS X leopard - until I actually started doing anything. Once I loaded my Windows Virtual Machine, Safari, iTunes and an instant messenger, it became just as slow as my old 1500MHz C7 with half the amount of RAM doing similar tasks. I was disappointed that OS X Leopard took up so much of the Mac's horsepower on its own and partly due to Mac fanboyism that I had witnessed, had expected even the little Mini to be substantially more powerful than it was. The odd thing was though, it *did* slow down in general since I got it. When I first had it, I could click on Safari, then on iTunes and then, say, iChat, and within a second or two they'd all be running. Yet, even after formatting it, only a few months later, there was significant delay in launching Safari and iTunes alone. It just 'felt' much more sluggish. I often find this happens on a minute scale with Windows during what I call the 'wear in' period, a month or two after the install. But unless one carries on installing heaps of crap, Windows shouldn't continue to slow down. (I've never really witnessed this 'Windows rot' that people babble on about?) I felt that the Mac did, and I was utterly perplexed by it, especially after reformatting. With hindsight I realise I expected too much of it, but the way it seemed to slow down generally is just bizarre.

BTW: I am planning to get the iPhone 3GS sometime soon. Be honest. Is it worth it? Have most of the bugs been squashed? Despite the camera being a measly 3 MP, is it good? Does it finally have image stabilisation or is it still as wobbly as a jelly in a blender? I particularly like the fact that you can use Airplane mode to switch off the telephone part of it without shutting down the device - perfect as I am an antisocial so and so :)

Edited by JustinStacey.x

I think it's a cross between my Mac Mini being a dud and me trying to squeeze 600 horsepower out of a Metro, yanno?

I got the late 2007 one that had 1.86GHz Core2Duo processor with 1GB of RAM. It was ok running OS X leopard - until I actually started doing anything. Once I loaded my Windows Virtual Machine, Safari, iTunes and an instant messenger, it became just as slow as my old 1500MHz C7 with half the amount of RAM doing similar tasks. I was disappointed that OS X Leopard took up so much of the Mac's horsepower on its own and partly due to Mac fanboyism that I had witnessed, had expected even the little Mini to be substantially more powerful than it was. The odd thing was though, it *did* slow down in general since I got it. When I first had it, I could click on Safari, then on iTunes and then, say, iChat, and within a second or two they'd all be running. Yet, even after formatting it, only a few months later, there was significant delay in launching Safari and iTunes alone. It just 'felt' much more sluggish. I often find this happens on a minute scale with Windows during what I call the 'wear in' period, a month or two after the install. But unless one carries on installing heaps of crap, Windows shouldn't continue to slow down. (I've never really witnessed this 'Windows rot' that people babble on about?) I felt that the Mac did, and I was utterly perplexed by it, especially after reformatting. With hindsight I realise I expected too much of it, but the way it seemed to slow down generally is just bizarre.

Odd. My MBP doesn't do that at all. I usually have anywhere between 5 and 10 applications open before I notice any kind of slowdown (though, I do have 4GB of memory).
BTW: I am planning to get the iPhone 3GS sometime soon. Be honest. Is it worth it? Have most of the bugs been squashed? Despite the camera being a measly 3 MP, is it good? Does it finally have image stabilisation or is it still as wobbly as a jelly in a blender? I particularly like the fact that you can use Airplane mode to switch off the telephone part of it without shutting down the device - perfect as I am an antisocial so and so :)
Definitely worth it (at least for me). There is a noticeable speed improvement on my iPhone 3GS compared to my iPhone 2G (also running OS 3.0). I haven't had a single problem with it since I got it. The camera is absolutely great - I was able to hold it up to my MBP's LCD (around 2 inches away) and take a picture of a website without any distortion or blurriness; so yes, it has image stabilization as far as I can tell.

Airplane mode's pretty standard nowadays... It was in the first version of the iPhone OS and has been on phones since... forever (my ten-year-old Nokia has it!). :rolleyes:

Go into camera mode and then wave the iPhone back and forth rapidly... tell me, does the image appear to 'wobble' or does it stay stable? If it does, then yes it has image stabilisation and it's about effin time!
Nope - my bad. I guess I was referring to the awesome auto-focus. :P