Interesting driver problem under nLite.

johnhc

I DLed and extracted the Chip Set driver file for the DFI main board I am currently planning to use for my next build. I then searched for the .inf files and placed all of them into the driver section of nLite and built an ISO. Early on during install, Setup halted with a message that a driver was not compatible with my XP x64 OS. The module called out was indeed the 32 bit version of AmdIde.sys. These were input as text mode drivers since there was a txtsetup.oem file in the same folder. I PMed Fernando 1, and he told me I probably did not even need the drivers and that in truth they were not text mode drivers and he did not know why there was a txtsetup.oem file present. I then tried nLite specifying these drivers as PnP but never tried to install them. The AmdIde.sys (32 bit) file was not present in the NLDRV folder and I assume Setup would not have complained. I then went on a search for a better set of Chip Set drivers and found supposedly later version drivers at the AMD site. Interestingly these were called Catalyst drivers, confusing me with the video drivers of the same name. Quite surprisingly, the DL contained only one driver and as Fernando 1 pointed out, since there was no .sys file, this was really not a 'true' driver. It was only a .cat and .inf file. It is the driver for the SMBus (System Management Bus). I pointed nLite to the .inf, built an ISO and it installed fine on my VMware Server VM. Since I have no HW, I will have to delay that testing till later. In the end, the total number of drivers I needed for the DFI MB was two. One was the AHCI text mode driver and the other the SMBus driver with no .sys file. It seems strange to me that there are no special normal mode drivers for the SATA/RAID. The AHCI driver was provided by Fernando 1 here. Have fun, John.