Buying a router

Grake

I'm looking to buy a router along with a couple of network adapters that's compatible with the router.

So far I've looked at the following:

D-LINK DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router 802.11G/B Draft N Wireless Router Triple Antenna QoS

D-Link DIR-825 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11a/g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2.0 Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router

D-LINK DGL-4500 Xtreme N Draft N 802.11B/G Gaming Router Triple Antenna Gigabit GameFuel LCD USB

I think I've narrowed it down to the following. Not sure exactly which one to get. Feedback before August 12 EST would be great as the sales end lol.

Staying with your D-link theme

I would recommend the 615 over the 655 for the following reason:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Suppo..._Devices#D-Link

**well that and its cheap for what you end up with after you flash it

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...Id_35_D700-2328

Edited by iamtheky

I would recommend the 615 over the 655 for the following reason:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Suppo..._Devices#D-Link

Totally. The firmware makes all the difference. Any consumer router with DD-WRT or Tomato or similar is about a million times better than any other consumer router with factory firmware (in terms of features, stability, speed and just about everything else).

It's not gigabit, but that's useless for most people (mostly limited by the wireless speeds, and not moving loads of huge files around all day long). Unless you were planning to use it between 2 boxes with gigabit NICs, to move a lot of very large files around (in which case I'd still pick that router, along with a separate gigabit switch)

actually you are right, i should ask if he wants gigabit or not. if not then by all means get the 615.

Even then I still wouldn't really bother. You can safely assume none of them gigabit routers don't support jumbo frames. And switches in a LOT of routers are so crappy I wouldn't want to rely on them, especially for large amounts of traffic. Older D-Link products were truly awful for this (haven't tried their latest stuff). You'd try to push a few GB across the network, but the switch chip would get so ridiculously hot (despite being in a well cooled location) that it would drop all your network connections. Your PCs would all say "network cable disconnected", you'd peek over and see your transfer aborted, and your connection would come back once it cools off. Switches in a LOT of routers are fairly ghetto like that, hence why I recommended a separate, decent quality gigabit switch instead.

Also, most people with such networking needs tend in general to require more than 4 ports (not only server/desktops and such -- now printers, gaming consoles, VOIP boxes and what not tend to use up some). And here it's more like 3, or that's what you have left after you waste a port to connect to your other switch. 3 gigabit ports ain't much.

Be warned. If you're expecting to use internet that's faster then 10Mbps, you may experience issues with most consumer routers.

That's the other thing. If you push too much data through, most consumers routers will crap out on you fairly quickly (e.g. Linksys WRT54* line tends to overheat quite a bit, and there isn't a heat sink in there anywhere in sight -- that's what happens when everyone competes with chinese built $20 routers). And when it finally dies on you, I'd rather have the gigabit switch separate and only have to replace the router.

ya i recently bought an 8port gigabit dlink switch and use 6 of its ports. but for a home network these "cheap" devices are perfectly fine, the issues are once multiple computers are trying to make file transfers at the same time. the range on my 655 is impressive though for N, i am quite happy with it.