My Far Cry 2 benchmarks

Tripredacus

After much updating and even more updating, I was able to run the Far Cry 2 benchmark. I just finished Far Cry, and installed the sequel. I like to play things in order. I figured my best bet would be to run the benchmark first, to make sure that my computer ran fine on the "optimal" setting it recommended. Here are my results:

Average Framerate: 9.74

Max. Framerate: 15.57

Min. Framerate: 5.35

This is all fine and dandy for me. Consider that I was able to beat the first level of UT at 2 fps (not on this PC), and was able to complete the Crysis demo at 6-8fps (on this PC but with less RAM). The only problem here is that... well when the benchmark was running... I had a black screen.

What does this mean exactly? For one, I KNOW that my CPU does not meet requirements, but my video card should. Its a Radeon 9600 with 256MB. I'll research this more tomorrow, but I thought it was funny I got an FPS score with no graphics on the screen.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. It may end up to be that I have to upgrade one of these days.

Average Framerate: 9.74

Max. Framerate: 15.57

Min. Framerate: 5.35

LOL. I really don't know why you would bother. It would be a terrible experience compared to 30FPS+ which most people would play it on. How come if you want to play newer games like Crysis and FC2 you don't upgrade or build a new PC? At least a new GPU, even something mega-cheap ($15) 6600GT 128MB can run FC2 better than that. You would be amazed at the difference you will see between 10FPS and 20FPS.

EDIT: Yep, a 128MB 6600GT AGP would whoop your current card. I think its time for an upgrade ;)

Edited by Zenskas

Consider that I was able to beat the first level of UT at 2 fps (not on this PC), and was able to complete the Crysis demo at 6-8fps (on this PC but with less RAM).

:ph34r:

'Fess up, you're an AI bot, aren't you. :lol:

Man...I usually give up as soon as the fps drops below 20. I almost gave up playing Oblivion the first time around because my system wouldn't run it above 20-22 fps. Had to spend hours tweaking it until I got it to run smoothly.

Consider that I was able to beat the first level of UT at 2 fps (not on this PC), and was able to complete the Crysis demo at 6-8fps (on this PC but with less RAM).

:ph34r:

'Fess up, you're an AI bot, aren't you. :lol:

Man...I usually give up as soon as the fps drops below 20. I almost gave up playing Oblivion the first time around because my system wouldn't run it above 20-22 fps. Had to spend hours tweaking it until I got it to run smoothly.

I used to be able to run Oblivion using a mod called Oblivion, back when my PC was below spec for that. Once Shivering Isles came out, that stopped working so I had to upgrade my video card. I like to push the envelope I guess. Is that so much different than our Win 9x/me/2000 users here?

Anyways, I found out my video card isn't supported, and while I am at it, might as well upgrade a bunch of stuff. I'll be at the limit then, so anything further would require a new MB. The new stuff I intend to get will cost about $120 and includes the following:

ATI Radeon X1650 AGP 8x 512MB

P4 2.8c CPU

2GB DDR PC3200

Anyways, I found out my video card isn't supported, and while I am at it, might as well upgrade a bunch of stuff. I'll be at the limit then, so anything further would require a new MB. The new stuff I intend to get will cost about $120 and includes the following:

ATI Radeon X1650 AGP 8x 512MB

P4 2.8c CPU

2GB DDR PC3200

MUCH better! I have a friend with and X1650 Pro 512MB AGP with a 3GHz P4 and 1GB DDR400 and he can run Far Cry 2 fairly well at medium settings I think.

• 1 month later...

I have a 4870 1GB and a Phenom II 955 and I get ~80FPS with everything on maximum setting and 1680x1050.

FarCry 2 has good graphics but doesn't eat too many resources.

With crysis I can only get 20-25FPS if i put everything on max. It is a poor designed engine.

I have found that most games nowadays only check the video card for system requirements, not anything else. Which was why I could run Oblivion (not Oldblivion) below specs. That in itself is flawed, those installers should at least say "you can run this but it might be choppy". Did I mention that the Crysis demo played just fine but took an hour to load a level/play the movie? :sneaky: