Seagate Firmware Update

Hi!

I remember seeing an article on another site about some of the Seagate Barracuda HDD's (including ST31000528AS, which is my disc) had some serious problems. There was a firmware update somewhere, but I cannot seem to find it. I also think that there was something else that you had to do to actually get it to boot and install, if someone knows what, please tell me :-)

Thanks for your time!

-Nerevar

There was a firmware update somewhere, but I cannot seem to find it.

Have you checked the manufacturer's site ? It has a download button on the 1st page.

+there are three sticky about Seagate Barracuda on this very forum.

Thanks for that, however still not solved. It just detects my discs (which i already know about), and gives the following information:

Model: ST31000340AS, Serial: 9QJ02YHA, Firmware: SD15

Model: ST31000340AS, Serial: 9QJ04F3P, Firmware: SD15

The disc's colored in red, in that program you mentionen, which means that it has known firmware updates (which i also know). When i entered the seagate site(through the program), it didn't find any updates at all :-/ WTF??

Thanks again!

Thanks for that, however still not solved. It just detects my discs (which i already know about), and gives the following information:

Model: ST31000340AS, Serial: 9QJ02YHA, Firmware: SD15

Model: ST31000340AS, Serial: 9QJ04F3P, Firmware: SD15

The disc's colored in red, in that program you mentionen, which means that it has known firmware updates (which i also know). When i entered the seagate site(through the program), it didn't find any updates at all :-/ WTF??

Thanks again!

How about using google next time?

Typed in "Seagate firmware" and ~10 seconds later I had the official Seagate page for the 7200.11 firmware updates.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...&NewLang=en

Updated and working :-) Thanks for all the replies. Case closed :-)

Good job :D

If anything goes wrong later on, do tell us as I have just installed a 500GB 7200.11 drive with SD1A firmware into an external enclosure so I am hoping it will live for longer than a few days like it did with the SD15 firmware. If I know of others that have SD1A drives dying then I will know to be careful with what I put on it.

Edited by Zenskas

Updated and working :-) Thanks for all the replies. Case closed :-)

Good job :D

If anything goes wrong later on, do tell us as I have just installed a 500GB 7200.11 drive with SD1A firmware into an external enclosure so I am hoping it will live for longer than a few days like it did with the SD15 firmware. If I know of others that have SD1A drives dying then I will know to be careful with what I put on it.

Just as a side note:

I don't think that using any Seagate 7200.11 Barracuda drive in an (most likely not active cooled) external hard drive enclosure is a particularly good idea.

Just last week I used one of my Barracudas externally to back up a good amount of data and it got VERY hot in its case while copying data for a longer period of time.

I highly doubt that this is good for the drive. However I have to say that my room temp was quite hot that day. About 27-28°C. Still I don't think that the drive would have stayed really considerably cooler, if the room-temp had been lower.

So, I would be careful with these drives when using them externally. Personally I wouldn't advise anyone to use them without sufficient cooling, unless all the drive(-s) do(-es) is idle 99% of the time.