"Move Item" keep popping up when performing certain Explorer

Ambassador

When performing certain actions in Windows Explorer, such as opening Start Menu folders from the Start Menu (not the Start Menu folder), a "Move Items" window pops up. Cancelling that brings up a Copy Items windows, and cancelling that finally opens the folder. This happens with other files/folders with different Explorer actions, such as hitting the edit button in Windows Picture and Fax viewer. How do I correct this?

I am running Windows XP SP3.

Edited by Ambassador

My first idea is a keyboard or mouse problem. Such as stuck key or inverted buttons.

Try with an other keyboard or hold the keyboard upside down (computer off) and hit all keys as to release them or any crums.

BUMP

Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure I've seen a fix for "Explorer not opening things properly", but I can't remember where.

I did find a fix for "Explorer open search instead of folder", but the fix was useless on my system, since the registry key already matched the fix.

• 1 month later...

This exact problem has been happening to me also on XP / SP3. I first noticed it about a month ago when an MP3 audio folder was open in Explorer and when I select Play All it pops up the move and then the copy windows, canceling both starts Windows Media Player.

It just started happening now when I'm updating a Briefcase on my Desktop, the same sequence.

Baffled...

This is caused by stuck CTRL or SHIFT keys

Doesn't seem to be the case here. My typing doesn't come out as all capitals, and pressing F4 (which would theoretically cause a CTRL-F4 if the button was stuck) did nothing.

or your mouse drivers being corrupted.

More likely to be the case. How can I check the drivers for corruption?

This is caused by a retweak that adds "Copy to/Move to" to the contextmenu.

I know this problem, and I still havn`t found a solution.

I had a feeling it may be that. Crap, those context additions were useful. Oh well.

Edited by Ambassador