Weird Dell Situation

ripigs

First off, I noticed that Dell gives you two different cd keys, one on the COA sticker and one that is on the restore cd or pre-installed (winnt.sif or oobeinfo.ini).

And they do not match!?!

Second, I have two different Dell's, one is Dimension 2400 and the other is a Dimension 3000. Both came with Windows XP Home.

So, I was starting to reinstall Windows on the Dim 3000, but before I did I used a utility to get the installed cd key, so that I can use it to do the reinstall. But when I seen what the key was I realized that my other Dell uses the same exact key!?!

Well, I want to see if anybody out there who has a Dell running Windows XP Home or Pro is using the same key.

THE KEY IS . . .

<removed>

Just post what model of Dell you have, and the OS XP Home/Pro and say if it is the same or not. I just think this is weird.

Edited by gamehead200
Key removed as per mod request.

Do not post even a little of the CD Key. But it doesn't matter if you have it or not, you can't use it to install XP. Its for OEM use only. If you need more information, you will need to get a Microsoft Partner account, and go through your rep to determine how to get the information.

Sorry about the key thing, I just think this is weird because I got the Dells from two different locations, one on the east coast and the other one the west coast. And having the same key on two different machines that are OEM and not volume license.

OEM's never give out a volume license key with their hardware AFAIK. Dell uses their standard OEM key on all pre-installed copies of XP from what I can remember (same thing happened with a batch of Dells my Dad ordered for his company) and attaches a unique COA sticker on each box.

Also, that key is plastered all over the Internet since, as I mentioned, it's Dell standard OEM key, so it's nothing to be too freaked out about.

[ Moved. ]

Thanks for the info and the reply, and sorry again about the key posting.

So, then you are saying that if someone creates an OEM windows xp cd via setupp.ini and use the Dell "big OEM" key, they can/will be able to be genuine?

Thanks for the info and the reply, and sorry again about the key posting.

So, then you are saying that if someone creates an OEM windows xp cd via setupp.ini and use the Dell "big OEM" key, they can/will be able to be genuine?

No. There are 4 things required in order for that key to activate. Any one of those things missing or incorrect and it won't activate. I won't tell you any more than that.