Unstable WinXP x64; What is the reason why there is no Service Pack 3

H everyone, it has been a very long time came i came here, and just like to say hope all is wellw ith you lot, but the reason why i am back here is because jsut a few days ago i am now running Windows XP x64 after a fatal crash with my computer, which gave me the chance to try out a 64bit operating system which i would assume would do me miracles on speed and performance.

in order to achieve those i would have to update my BIOS which in my case i would have to go through a very long process, by install and buying for a certain hardware (SuperDisk drive). Anyways, after installing the OS and copying all my necessary files from my other hard drive to the new (but somewhat maybe unstable) drive, and even installing all the updates from MS, i have found that still the operating system is very unstable for a strange reason, like something just would take a little longer to open or when flickering through different windows and so on.

even with some video applications, parts of thier windows would glitch through another or flicker, i dont know if thats to do with not installing them directly onto the operating system instead of copying from hard drive to hard drive, or just purely because it is the operating system itself.

But i reackon this all could be fixed if Microsoft released a SP3 update which fixed alot of things on its 32bit counterpart, does anyone now the reason why they havent done this??

Also, wouldnt anyone also know the reason why my operating system acts like this?

i would really appreciate it if anyone here can help me on this. Thanks :D

There is not XP64 SP3 because XP64s kernel is from the same codebase as Windows Server 2003 64 not XP32. since there hasnt been an SP3 for 2003, there isnt one for XP64

Vista 64 and Server 2008 64 are the same kernel as well as 7 64 and 2008 R2 64

PC is right on why there's no SP3 (2003 x64 is XP x64, they're the same OS) for XP x64, but as to why it's unstable, that's very likely going to come down to drivers. Assuming the hardware in the computer is in good working order and you're not crashing, you're probably running into the one thing that actually plagues XP x64, and that's poor driver support compared to XP 32bit. Specifically, from what you're describing, it sounds like either chipset drivers or video drivers being the culprit.

Are you running the latest XP x64 WHQL certified drivers for all of your devices?

i hve the latest Nvidia driver for my GFX card, and i am running an Asus P5b Deluxe Motherboard and i went to their site and downloaded and installed their latest drivers (even most dated till 2007) and the only one that isnt updated is the BIOS at the moment.

the glitching or visual errors i get are somewhat very annoying as well, for example there will be a bit from a webpage that would still appear and plague anopther page or windows, but this could be down to the fact that i am using the Royale theme?

i understand your description about Service Pack 3 between the OSs, however wouldnt it make sense if they made a SP3 for XP 32-bit, they should do one for 64-bit? despite they are almost totally different operating systems?

i understand your description about Service Pack 3 between the OSs, however wouldnt it make sense if they made a SP3 for XP 32-bit, they should do one for 64-bit? despite they are almost totally different operating systems?

Microsoft list Server 2003 as "No further updates planned" so i wouldnt count on seeing XP64 SP3.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

i still find that very strange, its almost like now i feel wanting to go back to WinXP 32bit, but i cant help the fact i will eventually get better speeds for video stuff on this 64bit OS :(

the problem still plagues me that, even simply opening a video in VirtualDub (dont know if u lot heard of it) simply doesnt look right or doesnt work properly.

despite this, may i ask is there any like unofficial updates or patches that could potentially fix the problem i am having at the moment? or to make the 64bit OS stable enough to be satisfied with?

the problem still plagues me that, even simply opening a video in VirtualDub (dont know if u lot heard of it) simply doesnt look right or doesnt work properly.

yeah thats the curse of a 64bit OS you need a 64bit OS, 64bit drivers, 64bit programs, and 64bit codecs to get any performance benefit from the platform. I highly recommend ditching XP64 if your hardware will allow it. Things are much better on Vista/7 64 right now that they will likely ever be on XP64. Server 2008 R2(aka windows 7 server) will be x64 only which should help put some pressure on OEMs to take 64bit seriously.

Well, that and to get drivers certified by Microsoft with the WHQL certification, they MUST pass the x64 tests, and be signed (so they'll run on x64 Vista or Win7). While I'd recommend Win7 over Vista, if you are using XP x64 and that's what you have you're going to have to make the decision to run with obviously poor drivers but get better CPU performance, or go back to XP 32bit and run with obviously better drivers for your hardware there, but without the support for the additional 32 registers on your CPU or the ability to use more than 4GB of physical RAM.

****, then i must take it then that WinXP x64 was a bad decision, i cant even find it stable enough to do simple tasks, as in even those taks will look funny in a way, plus it doesnt help thinking that, for example saving a file would save as if u were to save a file on a stable OS.

i will definately not go for Vista, never plan to ever have it as part of my Operating system at home, those who do have it and use it (without choice) i sigh in distress. Windows 7 is something i have ben prasing for a long time, and it seems to be paying off well as many of which are literally using beta and evaluation releases as a full operating system :D

may i ask, does Windows 7 literally eleminate all the problems that Vista had? Also, if i had Windows 7 x64, will that potentially solve my problems i am having with WinXP x64, ad yet taking advantage of my hardware so i wont hve to worry about suffering slowdown?

may i ask, does Windows 7 literally eleminate all the problems that Vista had?

well in my experience most peoples problems with Vista were imaginary or trivial at best (something they could easily fix if they wanted to try) more specifically, what was your issue with Vista? Without knowing what your porblem was, We'd be lying to you if we told you it had been taken care of in 7.

as i stated before, i never plan to use Vista, the problems people mentioned was probably enough for me not to purchae a copy, however my main reason really for not getting it was because of its power hungry for resources and problems that was mentioned was something i didnt want to take a risk off, like drivers and so on, especially since i am wanting to use a 64bit OS.

also i have realised is that Windows 7 is both 32bit and 64bit, am i correct?

as i also prementioned, if i had Windows 7 x64, will that potentially solve my problems i am having with WinXP x64, ad yet taking advantage of my hardware so i wont hve to worry about suffering slowdown?

well from what your saying Vista has a bad rep so you havent tried it. So yeah sure what the heck ill just go ahead and say 7 will solve all your problems that you had with Vista because its has a different name and so far that the only specific problem youve mentioned. Yes and 7 is x86/x64 bit OS (same as Vista was)

the problems people mentioned

Which like PC_LOAD_LETTER said, were mostly imaginary or trivial -- and I would add, plain old hearsay from haters (based solely on pre-SP1 issues, a large part of which would be due to drivers, much like your XP x64) and also "being different" from the old XP they're used to, after using it for ages.

power hungry for resources

Neither will run great on an ancient box, both will run great on a modern box. On average hardware, Win7 will run somewhat better.

Windows 7 is both 32bit and 64bit, am i correct?

There are 2 versions, yes.

will that potentially solve my problems i am having with WinXP x64, ad yet taking advantage of my hardware so i wont hve to worry about suffering slowdown?

It all depends on how good the x64 drivers are for your particular hardware. As for slowdowns, if your computer is any good (and it likely is, being 64 bit capable), both Vista and Win7 would run just fine.