Upgrade to IE 5.01 ?

affter333

Hi:

I'm using Win98se out of the box, the IE version is 5.0,

now I need to Upgrade to IE 5.01 (5.00.3314.2100)

in order to install MS framework 2.0 , I seemingly remember

I had upgraded to 5.01 once, but after some virus infection,

I now only have the original IE5.0 from CDrom.

Now here's the problem, where can I find the upgrade for IE5.01

Heck, I searched the MS site, they don't even offer IE6.0 anymore...

if someone can give the file name, or a hint, it would be enough, I seem

to have downloaded the upgrade once, just need to search the HD, but you

know the MS update files are like q52124e.exe... some crappy naming shiit.

Edited by affter333

http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.p...rnet_explorer=3

Looks like they don't have IE 5.01 (except for Windows 3.1) but they have 5.5... give that a go.

IE v5.01 and v5.01 SP2 can be found at http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/win32

I too would recommend IE v5.5, but SP1. I am using it on my dual-core desktop under Win98SE, it does not have the problem of sluggish file deletes, it supports 128-bit encryption for WPA, but it cannot display .mht web archives (Opera 9 can). If I remember right, SP1 does not yet have all that Active Desktop stuff, in any case there was a reason that I chose v5.5 SP1 over v5.5. v5.5 SP1 is probably the safest choice for Win9x if you don't use IE as your main browser, only as a system upgrade. It can be downloaded from http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie...sp1/ie55sp1.exe or http://download.oldapps.com/Internet_Explorer/ie55sp1.exe

Edited by Multibooter

5.5 was an excellent choice for Windows 95, and provided you hadn't installed IE4 previously with all the Active Desktop crap it would make hardly any difference on System performance and wouldn't install too much crap.
On my Inspiron 7500 laptops I have unfortunately installed IE 6 and one cannot go back to v5.5. On these Win98SE systems with IE6 I have turned off Active Desktop with MS TweakUI v1.33.

I try to stay away from anything by MS which is not necessary, like Active Desktop. I don't like spyware and who knows for sure where spyware has NOT been built in, even in Win98SE of 1999. I am using on these laptops IE v6.00.2600.0000 of August 2001, and use only very few MS updates released after Sept.11, 2001. When choosing among 2 types of vulnerability, I readily accept vulnerability to malware by hackers rather than vulnerability to potential spyware by MS or Big Brother from the U.S. MS and Big Brother have destroyed the reputation of U.S. software. That's why Kaspersky anti-virus software from Russia is the most popular anti-virus software. When it comes to security, Americans and Europeans trust the Russians more.

Edited by Multibooter

On my Inspiron 7500 laptops I have unfortunately installed IE 6 and one cannot go back to v5.5. On these Win98SE systems with IE6 I have turned off Active Desktop with MS TweakUI v1.33.
Have you tried this?

IEradicator

From the makers of 98Lite... Then install the one of your choice (?)...

Have you tried this? IEradicator From the makers of 98Lite... Then install the one of your choice (?)

Thanks for your tip, submix8c. I have to check into IEradicator, there were some comments that IEradicator makes Win98 more stable.

If IEradicator does actually increase system stability, it should also increase eMule uptime under Win98. On my dedicated eMule laptop (Win98), I don't need Internet Explorer at all, and not having Internet Explorer may possibly make eMule less vulnerable to unruly downloaders and other unwelcome visitors. IEradicator may turn out to be a useful eMule add-on.