ZD*.DLL license

JKing

I see that that Universal Extractor includes i*comp, which includes ZD50149.DLL, ZD51145.DLL and ZD55131.DLL---three libraries which are, from my understanding, the property of Acresso Software Corp. Were these libraries licensed for unlimited distribution, or does no one simply care anymore? Or is the code in limbo since InstallShield changed hands? I can't find any conclusive license terms for them.

Edited by JKing

• 8 months later...
I see that that Universal Extractor includes i*comp, which includes ZD50149.DLL, ZD51145.DLL and ZD55131.DLL---three libraries which are, from my understanding, the property of Acresso Software Corp. Were these libraries licensed for unlimited distribution, or does no one simply care anymore? Or is the code in limbo since InstallShield changed hands? I can't find any conclusive license terms for them.

I have not done any licensing deals for the DLLs. To be honest, I didn't realize they were even owned by InstallShield; I thought they were written by the i*comp authors since that's how I obtained them. I'll need to look into this further - if they are indeed copyrighted and not permitted to be redistributed, I'll need to remove them.

...which sucks.

Thanks for the heads up, though. I've very specifically paid attention to license compliance while developing UniExtract; these files just slipped through the cracks.

• 1 month later...

i6comp does not use the copyrighted DLLs. The very first entry in the author's changelog is:

1) No more ZDxxx.DLL - compression/decompression (deflate) routines are
statically linked in.

Here is the original zip file as the author distributed it: http://xpdnc.org/i6comp.zip

But if you're really worried about it, then just use unshield, which accomplishes the same thing without ZD*.DLL files. It's available on SourceForge, so you know it has a copyleft-friendly license.

edit--

You can find the i6comp author's e-mail address and the aforementioned changelog in the i6comp.txt file that's included in the archive. Maybe e-mail him to see if he knows about the licensing terms? It's a crap shot, but it could get you somewhere.

Edited by Dumpy Dooby