Windows 7 XP Mode RC

PC_LOAD_LETTER

Didn't the previous version of Virtual PC have hardware assisted virtualization?

What does you mean by "run apps inside the VM but have them behave as if they are directly running on the host"?

Yes, the previous version supported it, but it wasn't required (and it didn't use it as extensively as VPC in Win7 does). As to RAIL, it means you see the apps as icons in the Win7 start menu, and their UI runs as if it was running in the Win7 environment, but they're really running inside a "hidden" XP VM that's running in the VPC. It's similar to VMWare's UNITY in Fusion for the Mac, if you're familiar with that.

Well, yes and no - the virtual environment is always running, you just don't see it. The apps still run in a VM, it just doesn't look like they are (well, other than the XP title bars and such on a Win7 machine).

In fact you can only run either the full virtual machine OR selected apps from within it directly on your desktop.

In either case the virtual machine enters the running state, it's just not visible in the latter case.

Many of the other options offer a seamless mode.

I know virtualbox does, while it may not be as nice as what MS has, if you can't use it due to lack of support by your CPU, then VBox is definitely an option for you.

My CPU does support it & I'll probably stick with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ummm...so how does one boot from an ISO? I used to test my WAIK ISO's with Virtual PC 2007 but I can't seem to figure out how to do it with the new Virtual PC. Any help is appreciated!!!

you could try http://www.virtualbox.org/ I dont have either installed on this PC so i cant tell you for sure how to boot to the iso

Ummm...so how does one boot from an ISO?
Start / All Programs / Windows Virtual PC > Windows Virtual PC

[this opens a window with your virtual machines, and a toolbar specific for it]

Click Create virtual machine on the toolbar

[i named mine Test]

Complete the configuration wizard, then right-click on Test and click Settings

[Now you have your VM properties up whilst the new machine is offline, no Integreation Features are installed yet as there is no OS]

Select DVD Drive on the left, then Open an ISO image on the right, use the Browse button to locate the 32-bit bootable ISO you want

[Now you start your new VM and it boots from the ISO]

I just verified this with a Win7 RTM x86 ISO image and went through the install - first boot is from the DVD as there is no bootable OS on the VHD, and after the first stage of setup each subsequent boot is from the VHD directly.

Once the OS is installed (XP SP3, Vista SP1 or Win7 minimum), Tools / Install Integration Components adds the software into the VM to allow the host to interact with it for extra functionality.

(Before the OS is installed, if the mouse cursor is captured within the window, use CTRL+ALT+left arrow to release it.)

In the Settings sheet for the VM you will now see the various Integration Features can be enabled/disabled to suit.

As the boot order is VHD before DVD, if you already have an OS on the VHD then you will need to change the virtual BIOS boot order before you can boot from an ISO or DVD - hit DEL immediately on starting the VM during its very quick POST, then go to Boot / Boot Device Priority.