fatal error

MrBusty

I installed some Microsoft updates in my VM.

Because I wanted to save an additional restart, I did uninstall xpize to have a clean system for Release 5 right afterwards.

Because I deleted xpize Release 4 already, I used the Anolis Installer from the Anolis tools, which was an older version than xpize Release 4 I guess.

I also did run the Betas on that system before.

I don't know what of these points is the reason for the resulting problem - but the problem was harsh!

There was no Windows boot screen any more - the screen was just black.

Then it turned into the desktop color blue.

And after that attached blue screen appeard always.

It was not possible to repair the partition, that is why I did install windows xp over the broken installation again.

It was just a virtual machine, but maybe you should check the behavior of xpize for these situations W3bbo, because this can cause serios damage to other users...

post-216733-1249412669_thumb.png

Edited by MrBusty

Maybe that is caused by april's ntoskrnl (and two more critical) update, i had a pc running nlited xpized (plus some vistapack icons), did update, restart and surprising blue screen, no idea why but i had and image backup, tookme 13 minutes to have back 3 days of work.

I think it is caused by microsoft "critical files updates".

I say so because you said:

I installed some Microsoft updates in my VM.

Because I wanted to save an additional restart

Not XPize5 problem, it wasn't released yet.

Yeah, don't do that :)

When you install an Anolis package, like xpize, it records the MD5 hash of each file after it's been patched, and then it makes a backup copy of the original. It replaces the patched file with the original only if the hash matches, which is an improvement on XPize 4.x which just overwrites it anyway (more or less).

It does the overwriting using the PFRO table (aka MoveFileEx) which is done during restarts, which can conflict with updates from Microsoft. For this reason NEVER install (or uninstall) xpize (or any other Anolis package) at the same time as any Windows updates).

I'll build some safeguards into the software so it will detect if any Windows Updates are pending installation, but if you install the updates after installing xpize there's nothing I can do about that.

Yeah, don't do that :)

I think it was a nice try. :thumbup

- I thought we are encouraged to test xpize as extremely as possible... ;)

I'll build some safeguards into the software so it will detect if any Windows Updates are pending installation

This is very good!

I would have suggested this too. :)

but if you install the updates after installing xpize there's nothing I can do about that.

You can write some additional information on xpize reboot screen (the page at the end of a successful installation).

Maybe something like that:

"The installation will be finished with a system restart only! (because of using PFRO table/MoveFileEx on Windows restart).

Please don't launch any applications and -very imortant- do NOT install Windows updates. Please restart your sytem right away."

I hope there is not coming critical files updates soon.

I did update before, lets say in feb or march withuot a problem, but MrBusty, this is a good post for everyone who use xpize to become "warned/advised".

When i say critical files updates, it doesn't includes every "critical updates".

I recommend to do an image backup before updates.

Sometime ago i fixed my buddy's laptop with starter because updates required restart and never endup, manually restarted didn't helped, only fix was OEM restore (i expected something better and faster from OEMs for restoring not hours). Because of this (updates fault), please, don't blame XPize.

• 2 months later...

This problem caused me to start an account here :rolleyes:

It's too late for me to check out this post. I crashed my os in the same way at 8 a.m. (UTC), using around nine hours for finding solutions (then found this post), testing and trying around, then now my XP "seems" running normally as before, with 4.x and 5 removed.

I solved the problem with an additional hard drive with XP to overwrite the files. Therefore, as soons as you have the nightly update of two files: iertutil.dll and urlmon.dll (both in windows\system32) and an extra computer to connect the hard disk, just cover the original file with the nightly update and you should be able to get back the UI.

Currently I am not sure whether doing the restoration, or continuing with this setting as my XP is not very stable.

Edited by altt311