MS Barcode Stickers

Kodash

Hi,

I think this counts as a hardware queston really but:

I am trying to scan the bacode on a COA sticker on the machines at work, I want to be able to get a copy of the Product key but so far i'm struggling.

All i seem to get is a series of numbers which i think is the Microsoft End-Item Number. Is there any way of converting this in the product key? And what is it used for?

Thanks

Kodash

Edited by Kodash

You are correct, that barcode is not for the CD Key. If it was, things would be a bit easier for me! I haven't tried it in a while, but when you scan that barcode, the numbers it means are also printed on the COA as well, i think.

So there's no link between the barcode and product key?

Could it be possible that the manufacturer has a copy of thoose and a product key, i dont understand the significance of having the barcode and then the same numbers alongside. Is it for Genuine Windows inspections or something?

thats not a bad idea jcarle, but what i'm mainly want to do is collect a catalouge of the product keys when the machines come from the manufacturer.

I might just bite the bullet and rely on good old pencil and paper for now, still does anyone know what the End-Item number is used for?

Thanks for your feedback

Kodash

This is probably a dumb idea. But if you have some sort of OCR software you may be able to snap pictures of the product key and run the pictures through your ocr program to get the product key information. :blink:

The barcodes are strictly for tracking product purchases, and don't relate to the product ID on them in any way. I've asked this of MS in the past wanting to do something similar, and they confirmed that they use them for product tracking only, to count units of a product and version that are sent out to distribution end points or something other, and not to track anything else related to the COA.