Robocopy anomaly

jjo5555

We have been using the excellent Robocopy for years to Mirror client data to cheap internal drives once per day as a secondary backup. It has saved our client's data many times and meant we have not had to restore from tape.

We tend to use the /MIR switch and with /R:3 /W:3 switches but we have one issue that we cannot work around and wondered if anyone could help?

When a source file is locked you get something like this:

Newer 4.8 g Outlook.pst

2009/07/16 08:52:14 ERROR 33 (0x00000021) Copying File E:\DATA\Work\Bob\outlook\Outlook.pst

The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.Waiting 3 seconds... Retrying...

This is fine and completely acceptable.

However, after the retries fail the corresponding destination is then deleted. This is not the ideal behaviour. We appreciate that the /MIR switch does delete destination files but we would like it not to do so if the file exists but simply cannot be copied in this run. We cannot see a way to achieve this.

Can anyone possibly advise?

The problem with /MIR is that it's technically just the /PURGE command with the /E option, meaning if it cannot open a file to copy it, it treats it as if it doesn't exist in the file copy (which, I guess, technically it doesn't) so it mirrors that on the destination (removes the older version of a file it cannot copy).

The only real way around this is to either use a tool that doesn't work this way (perhaps look into xxcopy if you must use a command-line tool, which the /CLONE switch doesn't delete remote files it couldn't update, or at least didn't last I used it a few years ago) or look into a backup tool that backs up via a system driver that can bypass the lock (not preferred) or, better, uses volume shadow copies (preferred) on systems that implement it (like XP/2003 and newer).

Thanks for that.

Given the plethora of switches I was hoping that the Robocopy guys may have allowed for my scenario. I have got a command line way of creating a shadow copy of a volume and then using Robocopy but the overhead is quite large and I wanted to avoid it if at all possible.

Edited by jjo5555

• 8 years later...
1 hour ago, corey_lean said:

I just want to say one thing, for me robocopy is so difficult to use with so many commands to remember, so many attributes to remember, I think I will never be able to use robocopy. I was looking for a GUI alternative to robocopy which could work better than it. My search stopped when I found GS Richcopy 360. It has helped me a lot with my backup and restore. I have been using it for quite a while and its a lot better than other software, although its paid but its worth every penny.

Sure, at only 49.99 for a license it is a steal.

http://www.gurusquad.com/GSRichCopy360/GSRICHCOPY360

particularly since it was priced US$ 79.99.

The company has a very experienced manager:

http://www.gurusquad.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ahamin/

and that in itself is a guarantee of quality, in 2015 he got so outraged by the amount of people that lost data that he commissioned a whitepaper:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/06/prweb12757655.htm

to a marketing firm :w00t: .

The White Paper is still available:

http://www.gurusquad.com/blog/datalosswhitepaper/

http://www.tryamillion.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/DATA-LOSS-White-Paper-www.GuruSquad.com_.pdf

and provides unusual insights in this $1.7 Trillion USD  issue, a must read.

But maybe if you had actually continued your search, you would have found better or cheaper software (or both) :unsure:.

I had a similar experience, last week I was shopping for a car, I have some troubles with my aging Fiat Panda, I had a look at the new Panda, at the Renault Clio, at the Volkswagen Polo, then I suddenly found an Aston Martin dealer and got really caught by the new Vanquish S ...

jaclaz

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Are you implying that the Vanquish S is a little bit too youthful for me and that I shuld choose a more serious car? :blink:

Not at all! I do like it, too. But I'd take a 1976 Aston Martin Lagonda instead any time, hands down! :yes:
Moreover, since here in S. Paulo driving above 50 km/h (except for two expressways that allow 90 km/h and one rapid crosstown avenue that allows 60 km/h) will get one a ticket (and 5 points which expire after one full year), and when one gets 21 ticket-points one loses the drivers-licence for up to two years and has to undergo an ultra-PITA process to get it back after that time, I now favor going slow, listening to music, immersed in a cool air conditioning and having a diet-coke on top of it, while everybody else curses, blares the horn and sweats in minuscle 1.0 cars and swarms of decrepit 125cc motorcicles zip by. :P

On 16/9/2017 at 5:03 PM, bphlpt said:

Maybe he thought you couldn't afford the Vanquish, and he was just being polite, while he thought the Bentley was much more affordable. :)

Cheers and Regards

Maybe, or maybe he thought of a possibly common incident involving high-end  Aston Martins ;):

No-Mr-Bond-I-Expect-You-To-Walk.jpg

(though most probably somethign similar may happen to Bentley's as well)

JFYI, we (dencorso and me) had recently a PM exchange on the opportunity to have a BfB (Bang for the Bucks) unit of measure when comparing performance of things that can be bought.

Personally (being besides grumpy also cheap)  I rate cars using the PEV (Panda Equivalent Value) which is an abstract and arbitrary unit of measure roughly valued at the moment Eur 13,000 (i.e. the average "list" price of a Panda) but expressed in thousands, 13k.

Max Speed (comfortable/sustainable) of the Panda is assumed 130 km/h, so the S ratio is a nice, round 130/(13*1)=10

As an example a Renault Clio Turbodiesel has a PEV of 19k/13k=1.46 so S is 150/(13*1.46)=7.89

An Aston Martin Vanquish Coupè has a Pev of 273k/13k=21 so S is 220/(13*21)=0.81

The PEV is useful because you can say "wait a minute, I can buy more than twenty Pandas with that kind of money".

@dencorso

Naah, you are missing a point, if you have a Lagonda, you also have a chauffeur, and you can afford another one when his points are  lost. :whistle:

jaclaz