Latest IE6 (SP1) Security Update for Win 9x/ME

Dave-H

Well, MS discovered some error in KB974455 and realesed a new fix - KB976749. The new fix changes only one file - mshtml.dll. Guys who suffer a problem, should try the new realese.

I've already put the new MSHTML.DLL file from KB976749 into my Windows 98 system, and I can confirm that it still works!

:thumbup

• 4 weeks later...
I can confirm that it still works!
Hello Dave-H,

thanks for sharing! :hello:

Not only that IE6 become more secure,

it is also more stable!

I had a bug when reading offline videos downloaded from Youtube: they where making VLC to crash.

With the new files, everything is smooth! :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wsxedcrfv
New update IE6 SP1 for Win 2000 SP4: KB976325 released

Why is MS showing vulnerability details for both IE6 and IE6-sp1?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS09-072.mspx

I thought that IE6 (sp0) was EOL ???

I don't quite understand how, according to that page, IE6 applies to XP-SP2 and win 2k3, yet IE6-sp1 applies to win 2k. Did they get something backwards in that list?

Direct DL for IE6.0sp1-KB976325-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8...000-x86-ENU.exe

New update IE6 SP1 for Win 2000 SP4: KB976325 released

Why is MS showing vulnerability details for both IE6 and IE6-sp1?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS09-072.mspx

I thought that IE6 (sp0) was EOL ???

I don't quite understand how, according to that page, IE6 applies to XP-SP2 and win 2k3, yet IE6-sp1 applies to win 2k. Did they get something backwards in that list?

IE6 in this scenario is actually IE6 on XPSP2 or XPSP3 - IE6 SP1 is actually the IE6 tree from the XPSP1 codebase that was used to backport IE6 to Windows 2000, and is actually at this point a fairly different browser than IE6 on XPSP2 or XPSP3 (the rendering engine is basically the same, but the rest of the browser, including the security model, is not). They denote IE6 SP1 specifically for this reason, but call IE6 on XPSP2 or SP3 just "IE6".

@CharlesF

Yes, the new update seems to work fine under Windows 98SE.

Doesn't seem to include SHLWAPI.DLL for the first time that I can remember, but as you say adds TDC.OCX instead.

Still only 16 files to patch then, not 17.

@cluberti

I take it from what you say that this is the reason why no-one to my knowledge has ever got IE6 SP2, let alone IE7 or IE8, to work on Windows 2000.

A shame, but I guess it's just not possible.

:(

Doesn't seem to include SHLWAPI.DLL for the first time that I can remember, but as you say adds TDC.OCX instead.

Interesting.

The french KB976325 patch includes definitely 17 files (in 'rtmgdr' folder),

but you're right the 'shlwapi.dll' is identical with the previous one from KB974455:

same version number '6.00.2800.1990 (xpsp2.090827-1539)', same size (403 456 bytes), same MD5. :)

BTW, I've checked the others:

- 'danim.dll' has the same version number 6.03.01.0148, same size 1 056 768 bytes, but different MD5. :wacko:

I assume you're getting the files from the off-line download for the patch.

As I have Windows 2000 and Windows 98 on a dual boot system, I'm getting it from Windows Update.

Maybe that's the difference.

danim.dll is indeed a strange one.

It is included in all the IE6 SP1 cumulative updates. but always seems to be the same version, just with a different date stamp.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

BTW, I've checked the others:

- 'danim.dll' has the same version number 6.03.01.0148, same size 1 056 768 bytes, but different MD5. :wacko:

It can mean it's a different compilation of the same source. Or so minor a update that warrants no version number change. As it's impossible to decide which, it's usually best to stick with the newest version. And, when in doubt, you can always use MiTeC EXE Explorer to find out the real (unless it's been deliberately spoofed, which is unusual, as it's not a very well known feature) compilation date, the "PE Timestamp" of any Win-32 executable.

• 1 month later...

Last IE6SP1 update for Win 2000 SP4 released and working fine on Win 98 SE here!

17 "new" files to install, but danim.dll and tdc.ocx don't show any difference.

Links:

Download details Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (KB978207)

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-002 - Critical Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (978207)

Enjoy! :)

Last IE6SP1 update for Win 2000 SP4 released and working fine on Win 98 SE here!

17 "new" files to install, but danim.dll and tdc.ocx don't show any difference.

Links:

Download details Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (KB978207)

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-002 - Critical Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (978207)

Enjoy! :)

That's nice to hear, CharlesF. Let's tell MDGx about this so that he can create a new unofficial IE6 SP1 cumulative update for Win98/ME/NT4.

@CharlesF

Yes, the new update seems to work fine under Windows 98SE.

@cluberti

I take it from what you say that this is the reason why no-one to my knowledge has ever got IE6 SP2, let alone IE7 or IE8, to work on Windows 2000.

A shame, but I guess it's just not possible.

unfortunately, Dave-H, that's the sad truth. not even blackwingcat can make IE6 SP2, IE7 or IE8 work under Win2000.

IE6 in this scenario is actually IE6 on XPSP2 or XPSP3 - IE6 SP1 is actually the IE6 tree from the XPSP1 codebase that was used to backport IE6 to Windows 2000, and is actually at this point a fairly different browser than IE6 on XPSP2 or XPSP3 (the rendering engine is basically the same, but the rest of the browser, including the security model, is not). They denote IE6 SP1 specifically for this reason, but call IE6 on XPSP2 or SP3 just "IE6".

IE6 SP1 support for Win2000 SP4 will end in mid-July 2010, cluberti. read 'em and weep, 98/ME users.

Edited by erpdude8

IE6 SP1 support for Win2000 SP4 will end in mid-July 2010, cluberti. read 'em and weep, 98/ME users.

Indeed that sad day will all too soon be upon us.

With the end of support for Windows 2000 that will be I assume the end of support for IE6 SP1 completely too, and I don't believe that SP2 will be very far behind...........

:no: