Latest IE6 (SP1) Security Update for Win 9x/ME

Dave-H

Before I start, I want to make it quite clear that I don't want any lectures about how I shouldn't be using IE6!

I'm well aware of the much better and more secure alternatives, in fact I use Opera for most of my web needs (including posting this!)

I do still occasionally use IE for some sites which break in other browsers, and what I'm going to say is relevant to Windows Explorer as well as Internet Explorer.

Thank you!

:)

I have a dual boot system with Windows 2000 and Windows 98SE.

Since MS dropped support for Windows 98, I have been trying to keep my copy of IE6 SP1 on Windows 98 patched as best I can using the files offered by Windows Update for IE6 SP1 on Windows 2000.

This has worked successfully up until now, the last successful transplant being achieved with the files from KB969897.

However, with the latest update (KB972260) this no longer seems to work.

:no:

When I copied the usual 16 files from the cumulative update across to the Windows 98 system folder, Windows 98 would no longer start properly. The desktop appeared, but the taskbar just flashed up momentarily and then disappeared.

The startup then went no further, with only a few things running.

After a lot of very tedious trial and error, I discovered that this was being caused by the new shdocvw.dll file.

If I went back to the previous version Windows would at least start up OK.

Unfortunately things still weren't right.

Windows Explorer wouldn't show its web view at all, and Internet Explorer wouldn't show any web sites, instead crashing out to a "this is potentially dangerous, do you want to open or save it" (or words to that effect) dialogue.

After more tedious investigation, this turned out to be due to the new mshtml.dll file.

Again restoring the old version made it come good.

So at the moment I have all the new files from KB972260 except shdocvw.dll and mshtml.dll, which are from KB969897.

I merely report this as an observation, as I know that some people are trying to keep Windows 98 patched with Windows 2000 security patch files.

For the record, the last mshtml.dll file that seems to work with Windows 98 is 6.0.2800.1627.

The latest version, 6.0.2800.1634, does not work.

Likewise, the last shdocvw.dll file that seems to work with Windows 98 is 6.0.2800.1972.

The latest version, 6.0.2800.1983, does not work, and will stop the system starting properly in my experience.

Can anyone else confirm my findings?

I have no idea what MS have done to these files to finally break compatibility with Windows 98 after all this time, but I would be interested to know if anyone does find out!

Edited by dencorso
Renamed thread to better reflect contents

Do you have KernelEx installed ? If you haven't maybe you could try that.

No, I don't use KernelEx, because I mainly use Windows 2000 nowadays and therefore haven't thought it necessary to enhance Windows 98 so I can run non-Windows 98 programs on it.

Good thought though, and I'd be interested to know if anyone else who does use it has the same problem with the latest IE files.

Curious... where is a list of "the usual 16 files" one would copy from the Windows 2000 installation ?

Do you refresh IE by just copying, or do you have to re-register some DLLs ?

Is there a write-up of the process you refer to, on this site maybe ?

TY

Curious... where is a list of "the usual 16 files" one would copy from the Windows 2000 installation ?

Do you refresh IE by just copying, or do you have to re-register some DLLs ?

Is there a write-up of the process you refer to, on this site maybe ?

TY

There isn't actually a list anywhere, but the files I copy across are the files that all the IE6 SP1 Cumulative Security Update packages seem to replace.

They are -

browseui.dll, cdfview.dll, danim.dll, dxtmsft.dll, dxtrans.dll, iepeers.dll, enseng.dll, jsproxy.dll, mshtml.dll, msrating.dll, mstime.dll, pngfilt.dll, shdocvw.dll, shlwapi.dll, urlmon.dll, and wininet.dll.

They all reside in the windows\system folder (system32 on NT based systems of course).

I have always just copied them across (easy on a dual boot system) and never had any problem with any of them until now. I wouldn't have thought that re-registering was necessary as you're just replacing the file with another of exactly the same name.

However, with the latest update (KB972260) this no longer seems to work.

:no:

bummer, Dave-H. looks like you'll have to use the files from KB969897 for IE6 SP1.

I had a feeling at some point the newer IE6 security patches will no longer work for Win98/ME and only for Win2k & above.

tErmY: KernelEx 4.0 final recently came out. ditch the RC2 version and install the final release.

Edited by erpdude8

• 1 month later...
is the bug gone with the wind? i install on my win98se the last ie6 updates from KB974455 (that ms realesed yesterday) and it works o.k. for the time being. is anyone else did so?

Yes, I can confirm that!

I copied the files from the new KB974455 Cumulative IE6 Hotfix across to my Windows 98 installation, thinking that it would "never work" because the last one didn't, and to my utter astonishment, it did work!

:thumbup

It looks as if whatever MS did to the shlwapi and mshtml dlls to break Windows 98 compatibility has been fixed.

I don't believe for one moment that this was done for Windows 98 compatibility reasons of course, but whatever the reason was, I'm really pleased!

:yes:

There isn't actually a list anywhere, but the files I copy across are the files that all the IE6 SP1 Cumulative Security Update packages seem to replace.

browseui.dll, cdfview.dll, danim.dll, dxtmsft.dll, dxtrans.dll, iepeers.dll, enseng.dll, jsproxy.dll, mshtml.dll, msrating.dll, mstime.dll, pngfilt.dll, shdocvw.dll, shlwapi.dll, urlmon.dll, and wininet.dll.

Belated thanks, Dave-H ! I've just applied the plain copying method with this week's mega-patch and so far everything's rolling, like (the other) Dave said.

Note : among the 16 files in your list are some that are related with DirectX rather than IE proper, and I wouldn't just copy those having different versions DX on either OS. Not applicable to this week's update anyway.

Just as a warning for everyone interested to be prudent, as always...

Edited by Ninho

Thanks Ninho!

I had wondered what some of those files' functions actually were, and it's interesting to know that they're not all files directly related to IE6.

I have DirectX 9.0c installed on Windows 98SE and Windows 2000, but the Windows 98 version is the August 2007 update, and the Windows 2000 version is the November 2008 update.

I couldn't get the November 2008 update to install on Windows 98 (although the MS download site says that it should be compatible) it just throws up an "internal error" message (whatever that means!) and won't install.

The saga is here - http://www.msfn.org/board/directx-9-0c-use...&hl=DirectX

I assume subsequent versions have the same problem.

It's never been a problem copying all those files across from Windows 2000 to Windows 98, apart from the time before last anyway!

BTW, I've just noticed in your snip from my old post that I put "enseng.dll".

That was a typo of course, it should be "inseng.dll" in case anyone's puzzled!

Edited by Dave-H

Note on the file list, specifically the dx*.sys files, that they're actually IE interfaces to directx to draw components, they're not directx binaries themselves. Be careful omitting binaries (just as you are with including binaries) when copying updates, as the updates are designed to be used with all binaries shipped in the package. Just FYI, the dx*.sys files are NOT directx files, but they contain the "glue" for IE to call and use directx (when drawing activex controls, etc).

Note on the file list, specifically the dx*.sys files, that they're actually IE interfaces to directx to draw components, they're not directx binaries themselves. ...

Ah! Good point thanks, Cluberti. So, we can assume those interface files are directX-version independent, right ?

--

Ninho