Windows XP Permissions

GamingX

Hey,

I've been using Windows XP for a couple of years now, and am currently running Windows XP SP3. My PC is used by all the members of my family, each for his own needs. But the problem is that, with so many people using it, it is vulnerable against virus attacks and the likes of it. I've tried securing it, but without any success. I use only two user accounts, one is my own personal one and the other for the rest of the family. But I have Administrator access granted to both the users, since some of my family members use applications which require Administrator access. But this is a big disadvantage where applications are constantly being installed and uninstalled thereby leading to nasty stuff. I was just wondering if there is a way to set certain applications to run with Administrator privileges.

For example, I use Mozilla Thunderbird, but I rarely logon to my user account, instead I use the same account that the rest of my family uses. I use the 'Run As' command to access my own mailbox. This is the basic idea. But the rest of my family members wouldn't like wanting to do this to open their applications repeatedly. Hence, I want to set certain applications to run default with Admininstrator privileges in an account with Limited privileges. Is this possible ?

I use the 'Run As' command to access my own mailbox.

What mail program needs admin rights ?

He uses the 'Run As' command when using his family's account to run Thunderbird under and using his profile so that he doesn't have to go through the trouble of logging off, and then logging back in as himself.

True, if someone has physical access to your machine and something that you allow to boot (you do protect your BIOS with a password when it's in a public place, don't you?), unless you've got bitlocker or some other drive encryption software you're pretty much screwed. However, that doesn't negate the desire (or need) to use permissions for local and remote access to your online machine.

Don't throw out permissions for normal use just because someone might be able to boot your hard disk in a different machine. At that point the only thing you can fall back on is a system-level password and drive encryption, which are just layers of security. Nothing's foolproof, but making it more difficult to breach your security makes you less a target for all but the most determined. And if someone's really determined at getting at your network, your machines, your data, etc, you would at least hope that you are generally already aware of that fact.

Also, keep your posts clean of profanity. Otherwise, the banhammer will fall your way.