WPI 7.8.0 Feature requests.

That would be a bad idea to move WPI.hta. It will throw off %wpipath%.

The launcher could set the environment variable, or pass a command line parameter, or the setWPIPath function inside core.js could be changed to remove the last directory entry so it wouldn't be such a big problem.

And not everyone is going to use the launcher.

Most people will go directly to the EXE now that they'll see there's one. Newbies will use it because they don't know that .HTA files can be run, pros will run it because they'll think it is now necessary to use it (and it is, if they want to avoid all the error messageboxes on vista because of UAC). Having only the executable and TXT files in the main dir could help make things less confusing.

Keep the launcher simple.

Adding some file/registry key checks to detect missing files or conflicting applications could hardly make the launcher bloated or slow because it c++ code is very fast and small.

It would be nice if there was a README First Button.

Placed above the Begin Install Button, when pressed it would display the contents of a readme.txt file.

In the file, you can place instructions, and explanations about the programs on the list.

For instance, I have a program that always ahs a problem during the install (no matter what I do).

I could warn the user, that program may need operator intervention.

If the file doesn't exist, then there would be no need to display the button.

Thanks

It would be nice if there was a README First Button.

Placed above the Begin Install Button, when pressed it would display the contents of a readme.txt file.

In the file, you can place instructions, and explanations about the programs on the list.

For instance, I have a program that always ahs a problem during the install (no matter what I do).

I could warn the user, that program may need operator intervention.

If the file doesn't exist, then there would be no need to display the button.

Thanks

Look at the jscript alert function. It does what you want. Failing that just call a .txt file with your first entry.

How about, adding a buttom to Skin current Command, in case the installer gets stuck on a command, there wouldn't be a need to exit and restart the process.

"Skip" "Pause" "Abort"

Skip, would allow to bypass the current process and continue on the next one.

What do you think of this idea?

Thanks,

MBA

Skip = Well see with that we would need to have a knee-jerk kinda code in there to kill the master install process (And hopefully children processes) That can get REALLY messy leaving all sorts of half finished installs and reg entries laying around and cause allot of system instability.

The other? Do you mean the command window when a cmd or bat is used? Or the installer window itself?

Please elaborate.

screen6.jpg

In that example, let's say "Vista Power Toys" has 2 commands.

The first one is Successful, moves on to the second

The Second command freezes and stalls the entire process.

That's what I mean, that "Skip" could bypass this "Command" and continue on to the next one on the list.

With proper coding all installations should flow nicely and without problems, however, sometimes applications might just freeze and don't allow the Installation process to continue.

Wrote down ideas on my To Do List. Keep them coming!

Kabers: are you using a winnt.sif file? Can do both in there. Or are you using a "universal" package and need to make set names for different computers/users, say in a work place?

Look at the jscript alert function. It does what you want. Failing that just call a .txt file with your first entry.

That would really be a "Run Me" option, the problem with that depends on the settings. If you don't have WPI return to the menu for instance.

The ReadMe button would work like the Manual button, but display text instead of html

This is mainly for the users that don't have a clue what WPI is, I can tell them how to restart WPI, or tell them what bugs to expect. If you build a WPI disk for someone, they say what's this, the Readme would tell them what it is.

Thanks