Dell Latitude C640 - No Modems Installed In 80 Laptops?

Redhatcc

I have 80 Dell Latitude C640's, after a fresh installation i check the device manager to see there is no modem driver installed nor is the computer missing any drivers (yellow questions).

On the side of the computers, they all have built in modems. Here is the steps i have tried to get the modem to show up in device manager and so i could use the modems already installed.

1. Checked the bios (couldnt find anything).

2. Scan for hardware changes within device manager.

3. Update windows online to the latest service pack, got all the updates afterwards too.

4. Used a different OS disk to load the machine.

5. Used the dell service tag to look up and find the drivers on the dell website, then updated the modem with dell drivers and it was unsucessful.

Now, ima kind of puzzles in thinking is this a problem that spreads across all the laptops i just purchased? Is this thing turned off in the bios and maybe i missed it somewhere? Is there a update i need from dell or microsoft im just not finding?

perhaps it is installed but not detected in the modem, otherwise i am as confused as you are.

maybe pull the modem out of one of the laptops if that is at all possible and then compare the device manager.

I have 80 Dell Latitude C640's, after a fresh installation i check the device manager to see there is no modem driver installed nor is the computer missing any drivers (yellow questions).

On the side of the computers, they all have built in modems. Here is the steps i have tried to get the modem to show up in device manager and so i could use the modems already installed.

1. Checked the bios (couldnt find anything).

2. Scan for hardware changes within device manager.

3. Update windows online to the latest service pack, got all the updates afterwards too.

4. Used a different OS disk to load the machine.

5. Used the dell service tag to look up and find the drivers on the dell website, then updated the modem with dell drivers and it was unsucessful.

Now, ima kind of puzzles in thinking is this a problem that spreads across all the laptops i just purchased? Is this thing turned off in the bios and maybe i missed it somewhere? Is there a update i need from dell or microsoft im just not finding?

Are you absolutely sure they have modems? Some laptop manufacturers will ship their laptops with the phone jack, but no modem. Check the BIOS to make sure there is actually a physical modem installed inside the laptop (or take it apart and check :P).

that is true i have seen some with covers over the modem port or have a port on the side maybe and then not be one. im going to rip one of these apart and see what is on the inside.

I'm sure you will find what gamehead200 said. By the way, it's easy to see in most notebooks as they hide wireless cards and modems behind some single screw taps.

Modems normally come with a mark from the country it shipped too, so you can't officially use a modem made for the USA in Germany for example, this is why it's easy to swap them out.

Who uses a MoDem any way these days :P.

I've found on some laptops that unless you install the proper sound drivers, the modem wouldn't show up.
Still it would give you the "?" mark, but yes, some modems use the soundchip indeed.
Unknown device identifier will tell you if they actually have modens or not.
Doesn't show a "?" mark and all seems to be installed he said.

Modems in the C640 were of the WinModem kind, so if there was indeed a physical modem installed inside, it would show up as a question mark in device manager. The lack of any unknown devices and no modem installed leads me to believe that these laptops, as gamehead mentioned, simply have unconnected ports.