Howto translate a "hlp" file

triger49

Got this utlity I use everyday called "Wamonitor" .....works great, but the help file was written in Japanese, checked a couple online translation services....they come with this 500 word limit on free service. When my system tried to go to Microsft for the language files...got this "server not available" nonsense......

The author's web page has vanished....

Somebody give me a clue?

Thanks

Jake

That's how I do it. Convert the text you want to translate to html. Upload that somewhere it can be browsed and run Google translate on it. Copy the translation. If its really big you'll need to slice it but you'll have much more than 500 words like that anyway.

Thanks.....I had ran across that during a google search....

That's how I do it. Convert the text you want to translate to html. Upload that somewhere it can be browsed and run Google translate on it. Copy the translation. If its really big you'll need to slice it but you'll have much more than 500 words like that anyway.

The problem is, nothing will open it so I can get the Japanese characters into another document.... :unsure:

Google for a help decompiler. You'll get rtf or doc files as output which contain the text you want to translate.

All that procedure does work, I have done it with japanese .hlp files myself several times.

I am afraid software translators wont translate perfectly, specially if technical documents are involved.

True but it is most often better than nothing.

I feel the same way. And, most often, with some editing effort, one can render the translation in good English. Online machine translators opened to me a window into many interesting Russian and Chinese pages, that I'd otherwise be unable to read.

Thank you very much for all your help....got sidetracked here, good friend walks in with 3 month old laptop ....last count I got was over 100 infected files (still counting)....but I will get back to the reason for this topic...

Jake