Boot winPE with USB flash drive

Hi,

I am making a bootable USB drive by using it my machine boots with WinPE and my application run on it smoothly.

At booting time I press F10 key and I see that USB drive there and by selecting it my machine boots with it.

Now I am trying to boot another machine having different hardware configuration like the mother board of this machine is some older than first one. On this machine at booting time if I press F10 key then I am not seeing USB drive there in boot devices menu. I checked for removable drive option that is also enable in BIOS settings.

(I tried this to boot the machine having new configuration like that was in my first machine, these machines are booting smoothly)

Is this is the problem due to this older mother board chip set or the problem is due to older BIOS code that does not support USB drive as a booting device?

If you need the steps that I am following to make bootable USB drive then I can show you.

waiting for the reply from your side.

Thanks

Madan Chauhan

Edited by mdnchauhan

Some older motherboards don't support booting from USB. Check with the mobo manufacturer on their website. A BIOS update may help resolve the problem as well.

• 4 weeks later...

More than likely you are pressing the wrong key on the computer to boot the Pendrive. Other boot keys to try are Esc, F1 or F2. Typically it is HP's that use F10 but a more universal option is just simply Esc.

If your motherboard is older than 2004, it will probably not boot from your USB drive. Typically, Boot Menu is F12. Some motherboards allow booting "from usb", some allow booting from HDD in which your USB drive could be listed (but to change HDD boot order, you need to enter bios).

It is also possible that you have to pass your USB drive from the removable discs to the HDDs group.