GigaByte EP45-UD3P owners, come here please

Octopuss

They basically told me they can send the board somewhere for evaluation, but it probably won't do any good and it would get returned back.

That's what I'm thinking too. It's not like they're going to test it OC'ed, and being a couple degrees over average at stock clock/voltage won't make them replace it.

Plus it would take ages and what am I supposed to do without a PC?

That can be very annoying. I recall returning a defective Athlon XP years ago. Took 3 weeks to get a replacement part. That sucked hard, even though we had other PCs.

If you replace the HSF, they might blame you if you try to RMA it later. Then again, waiting for it to die from the heat sucks too, if not just for the period while you wait for a replacement board (stores usually swap DOA boards, but after a few days you have to RMA it instead)

I am 99% sure it will NOT die because of heat as the critical temperature allegedly is, like I said, 103°C. But that doesn't help me with the fact that apparently it should NOT get as hot as it does.

Really, I will just sell it (have a guy interested already) and buy DS4 with better PCI-e slots placement and possibly much more effective cooling. It should have no problems hitting 500FSB as well, which is what I am happy with.

Plus it would take ages and what am I supposed to do without a PC?

That can be very annoying. I recall returning a defective Athlon XP years ago. Took 3 weeks to get a replacement part. That sucked hard, even though we had other PCs.

I know the feeling guys, when I bought the parts for my PC the Seagate 7200.11 HDD failed after a few days (this was at the start of my school holidays to make matters worse) and I did not get a replacement for over a month! Meanwhile I went and bought a WD 640GB drive after using a pentium 3 for a few weeks. Very annoying...

putting some AS5 or similar thermal paste on there instead of the stock junk.

Another misinformed myth of yours. Stock thermal paste isn't junk. It's been proven time and time again that the quality of thermal paste has very little bearing on the final thermal dispersion results. The quality of the bond between the two surfaces has a much great impact on the final result then the type of thermal paste. This information, as shown in the 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test, cannot be more evident.

Edited by jcarle

putting some AS5 or similar thermal paste on there instead of the stock junk.

Another misinformed myth of yours. Stock thermal paste isn't junk. It's been proven time and time again that the quality of thermal paste has very little bearing on the final thermal dispersion results. The quality of the bond between the two surfaces has a much great impact on the final result then the type of thermal paste. This information, as shown in the 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test, cannot be more evident.

you are misinformed. some stock thermal paste truly are junk and some are pretty good.

both i and many others have saw a good temp drop by replacing thermal paste on both cpu and northbridge.

so do not go calling it a myth. that review you posted has grades of thermal paste after all.

there are also cases where the person in the factory who applied the thermal paste improperly applied it which can also be a problem.

Edited by ripken204

you are misinformed. some stock thermal paste truly are junk and some are pretty good.

both i and many others have saw a good temp drop by replacing thermal paste on both cpu and northbridge.

so do not go calling it a myth. that review you posted has grades of thermal paste after all.

there are also cases where the person in the factory who applied the thermal paste improperly applied it which can also be a problem.

80 different thermal pastes from the best to the absolute worse display a difference of no more then 5C and I'm misinformed?

80 different thermal pastes from the best to the absolute worse display a difference of no more then 5C and I'm misinformed?

Yes but I'll bet they applied all 80 pastes fairly well perfectly. A lot of the time it can be over applied from the factory, or dry up after time and loose effectiveness.

Also a 5C drop can be very good to some, as that could be the difference between 4.8GHz and 5GHz, while extreme OCing. I still think that just trying to RMA or sell and get either another one or a DS4 would be the answer to lower mobo temps.

EDIT: My DS4P is running at 34C right now. CPU is at 31C. System temp never gets too hot, even in my cheapo case.

Edited by Zenskas

Ou of curiousity, what system temperature does HWMonitor report for your system? In case you don't know where to find it, head over here http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Mine is about 45-48°C when the PC is warmed up and in load.

I would ask about approximate temperature of NB in load, but it's probably no use because not everyone has the PC overclocked and has different cooling.

Ou of curiousity, what system temperature does HWMonitor report for your system? In case you don't know where to find it, head over here http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

I would ask about approximate temperature of NB in load, but it's probably no use because not everyone has the PC overclocked and has different cooling.

That's not really that hot at load, at least I don't think so. In HWMonitor 1.13 my system is still 34C at idle. I will use it for a few hours for gaming, extracting RAR files, and a fairly short (10min) audio/video encoding benchmark then report back the min and max temps seen on the system, CPU (not the core temps), GPU, and HDD.

EDIT: Well I didn't really put the PC under too much load (COD4 for 20mins and that benchmark only went for 5mins actually) but here's what I got:

System: Min-34 Max-38

CPU: Min- 30 Max-43

GPU: Min-39 Max-57

HDD: Min-30 Max-32

Not very hot really. I have two 120MM 1200RPM case fans, and a very basic ATX Foxconn case.

Edited by Zenskas

Yes but I'll bet they applied all 80 pastes fairly well perfectly. A lot of the time it can be over applied from the factory, or dry up after time and loose effectiveness.

Also a 5C drop can be very good to some, as that could be the difference between 4.8GHz and 5GHz, while extreme OCing. I still think that just trying to RMA or sell and get either another one or a DS4 would be the answer to lower mobo temps.

Sure, it "can" happen but I've never seen a heat issue resolved with a bit of thermal paste. It will "improve" the situation, but if it's out of hand, no amount of thermal paste can save you. I've often found that 90% of heat issues revolve around two simple factors. Dust and lack of sufficient and directed air flow through the case.

Edited by jcarle

With room temperature at some 28oC

040809C.jpg

So, with a FSB of over 2000MT/s (500MHz BIOS setting) your temperatures are normal ;).

Also, I have a CPU cooler that blows over all components as most motherboard are designed that way.