which is the best OS to run

so i'm building a machine for older games but i want to run mid 90's to early 2000 games like cnc renegade or what ever here is the deal i have over 512mbram and i read 98se buggs out but since you have all these mods and service packs will 98se run fin with 6xx MB of ram and what about this kernal 4.0 how does it run? or would i better off with ME does it run dos game like 98 does ME has the ui tweaker or is there a way to do that to 98se i assume ui tweaker lets you change the visual style? windows nt4 and 2000 have does problems because i read about 3dreams build engine type games not running and you have to jump threw hoops to get old games like that to run. so i'm thinking 98se or ME if they deal with the ram wich one and wich mods andservice packs should i use that kernal 4.0 sounds cool if it runs well and doesn't crash the OS.

the machine i have is a Slot A asus mobo with 700 mhz cpu and sound blaster audigy and an agp card a nvidia 15 gb hdd since I Couldn't freaking find my 20gb [i have too much PC crap/parts]

oh btw way i knew 95 only does 16 bit after trying the expansion pack for cnc tiberian but doesn't 98 support 32 bit programs as well?

Edited by dencorso
Minor correction to the title