How do I Reinstall Vista Ultimate without it adding the Windows old Fi

jwesley44

I switched from the 64 bit to the 32 bit vista ultimate . I have reinstalled the 32 OS a second time and now I have 2 Windows Old files . I have done a lot of research about how to delete these folders until I'm blue in the Face . I have tried every suggestion ,Disk cleanup works but only the most recent or current Windows Old file , taking ownership , changing Permissions , becoming the real administrator all that . That's not all . Same issue , I have many Empty folders in my Favorites that can not be deleted because , it says the files can not be found .

I have Backed up my backed up backup files , so reinstalling Vista is a breeze and I don't mind and will continue to keep reinstalling it until i understand and get it set up the way it should be .

I keep trying to get all the correct drivers installed but to do that i have to disable Windows Update so it will not install older drivers I don't want .

I think all my problems with this PC are Compatible issues .Like the Motherboard A8N SLI Deluxe ,

AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 4400 + 2,21 GHz

The GTX 260 Graphics card is also questionable about Compatibility

My Question is .

How do I reinstall Vista Ultimate without it Creating the Windows Old Files in the first place ?

Given the Information above and considering all my hardware isn't Compatible , what newer motherboard and or processor would you guys recommend that i upgrade too ? keeping in mind that someday i will buy Windows 7 OS . I don't really want to buy another graphics card .

Thanks in advance for the help and advice , John

You can boot with with BartPE or another WinPE-based disc and try to delete them from there.

A clean install is always recommended, but having backups for verything is a must.

Edited by ajua

Windows.old can also be removed safely once the installation is complete, it's no longer used. See KB 933212 for instructions.

Thanks a lot for your link, today I deleted all of my .old windows files, it's about 25G, lot of space saved.