Message From YouTube About IE 6 Browser [Solved]

Monroe

OK ... I hear ya herbalist. You and many (most) others are much more in the know than I am on this IE 6 subject. You mentioned the browsers you like ... others mentioned Firefox 2.0.0.20. I have them all downloaded ... I'd like something that is safe, simple, fast and low on resource use. I came across these two additional browsers that work with Windows 98SE and was wondering if anyone reading this thread has tried them or might be using them now ....

TheWorld Browser for Windows 98 v2.4.1.2 (2009-06-04)

http://www.ioage.com/en/

http://www.ioage.com/en/download.htm

http://www.brothersoft.com/theworld-browse...-98-111697.html

and ...

SlimBrowser v4.12 released, Jul 23, 2009

Windows 98+IE5 is the minimum requirement. SlimBrowser runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit windows platform.

http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/

they are both very small downloads.

Edited by duffy98

Guest crisp

TheWorld browser and Slim browser are just GUIs that wrap the Internet Explorer rendering engine. They're not completely different products, just different frontends for Internet Explorer. Think of it like covering a cell phone with some fancy looking case; it may look different on the outside... but its still the same phone.

As such, using them won't help you if Youtube and others like Digg and Twitter change things on the site that IE6 can't render properly because you'll still be rendering the pages through IE6.

Opera still works on 9x systems so you still have a modern browser to use. I believe the latest version of KMeleon also continues to work with 98se, but I haven't personally checked it out in a while. KMeleon uses the Gecko rendering engine, the same as Firefox does.

I know it must seem frustrating, but there are very good reasons for sites wanting to drop IE6 and it has nothing to do with wanting to annoy 9x users. IE6 has been a pain in the a** for web developers. It offered very limited supported for some important web standards, and implemented its own stuff that wasn't compatible with any other browser. As such, many web sites have had to develop code specifically designed for IE6 to keep it working.

Now that IE8 is out which is a much much better behaved browser, having to keep coding in all sorts of hacks because IE6 is broken is too time consuming.

Opera and KMeleon should work fine for you. I believe Firefox 3 also runs if you use the KernelEx patch available on the user projects forum.

crisp ... thanks for the info on those two browsers. So you are saying I would have no security to speak of with those two browsers. All these years I've only used Internet Explorer ... starting with version 4. Not very familiar with any of the other browsers ... I will try the ones that herbalist mentioned and any that are mentioned in the future.

I don't know if they're still available, but there used to be themes for FireFox and the Mozilla Suite (the original name for SeaMonkey) including one that made them look very much like Internet Explorer. It made things easier for users who weren't comfortable with changing browsers. There's also some very nice extensions for both of them. They can both be customized to suit your needs.

K-Meleon is an extremely configurable browser. If you like tweaking settings, it's got tweaks for everything. It has built in flash blocking, user agent spoofing, proxy switching, one click clearing of all usage records, and much more. A fair amount of what I had Proxomitron doing is built into K-Meleon. It takes a little more getting used to than SeaMonkey but it's more flexible.

I originally switched to the Mozilla Suite for the improved security. The improved handling of resources was a pleasant surprise, but the thing I've come to appreciate the most is tabbed browsing. Instead of having multiple Windows open, it's multiple tabs in a single window. It's so much more convenient than working with multiple open Windows. I'm amazed at how long it took MS to copy the idea. They finally did in IE7.

K-Meleon is also available as a zip file. I think SeaMonkey might be too. If you don't want to install either, you can try the zipped versions. Just unzip it and go.

Someone else will have to comment on Opera and FireFox. It's been a long time since I've tried either one. The last time I used FireFox, it was called Firebird.

Guest crisp
crisp ... thanks for the info on those two browsers. So you are saying I would have no security to speak of with those two browsers.

That's right. If you used either of them, you would still actually be using IE6 and the web sites wouldn't work.

All these years I've only used Internet Explorer ... starting with version 4. Not very familiar with any of the other browsers

Bookmarks and other stuff like that will all work pretty similarly to what you're already used to. Other browsers can usually import bookmarks from IE6 anyway so you should be up and running in no time. Give one of them a try :thumbup

Edited by crisp

In case anyone might be interested I spent the week trying out several different browsers ... didn't care for Sea Monkey, FireFox and a few others ... decided K-Meleon v1.5.3 seem to work the best for me ... I had trouble customizing Sea Monkey, FireFox and the others to my liking ... having only used Internet Explorer versions since 1998 when I got my first computer ... I found it hard to adjust to Sea Monkey and FireFox but K-Meleon seem to be the best for me on that subject.

... it was easy for me to work with and get settings more to my liking and it does seem to be faster over the other browsers, at least it seemed that way to me, I'm not saying it is faster, might be my imagination. I still have some things that I have to work on but the K-Meleon setup I have running now will work for me, I hope to fine tune it a bit more.

I will say this, ... this might be helpful to someone like myself that has only used IE for most of the time. When I first tried K-Meleon early in the week .... it was after I had run IEradicator first to take IE 6 completely off my harddrive. I had a choice whether to leave the "IE shell" on or just take IE completely off. Wasn't sure what to do, so I took IE completely off ... seemed to be a mistake after I did that. Many things were messed up so I redid my computer ... I have a Ghost backup so it wasn't too bad to get things back to the way they were. Decided to try the other browsers but I left IE 6 on the computer ... Early this morning after trying out 2 more browsers I decided to put K-Meleon back on ... it seems to be the one for me, as herbalist said in an earlier post ...

"K-Meleon is an extremely configurable browser. If you like tweaking settings, it's got tweaks for everything. It has built in flash blocking, user agent spoofing, proxy switching, one click clearing of all usage records, and much more. A fair amount of what I had Proxomitron doing is built into K-Meleon. It takes a little more getting used to than SeaMonkey but it's more flexible."

.... yes, I have to work with it some more but I was able to get most of my settings the way I wanted them, compared to Sea Monkey and FireFox. That's just me probably ... others should try them anyway and decide what they might like.

I decided to post a follow up on what I decided on. I don't know what to do about IE 6 ... I am thinking of just leaving it on the computer as a back-up browser ... herbalist or anyone ... when using that IEradicator ... if I ran it and left the "IE shell" on the computer and not completely take IE 6 off, would that keep other programs OK? ... or should I just leave IE 6 sit on the computer??? ... thanks

Edited by duffy98

If at worst, it could be nothing more than an artificial 'block' of browser due to dropping support. Although I'm doubtful youtube would actually ban older browsers from viewing or using the site so, it's likely just a notice that rendering may not be as flawless as it used to be for incompatible browsers.

If anything you could always just spoof the version of your IE:

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/799/

Had to do that very thing when looking something up for a friend. Apparently some sites have a huge vendetta against IE6/5/*insert older browser+version here* and force you to upgrade if you wish to even use their site. Speaking against 'older browsers' like it's ruining the world and is against all humanity (sounds like a religious cult). Yes, viewing their site with an older broser is indeed commiting murder on companies and other sites alike *facepalm*. Yet spoofing the user agent got through just fine (yet the site is 100% usable and perfectly rendered with even IE5.. -.-).

A perfect example would be 'Operation Spring Cleaning': http://windower.net/ie6.html / http://forums.windower.net/topic/14970-ope...bring-down-ie6/

Edited by Chozo4

We will be phasing out support for your browser soon.

Please upgrade to one of these more modern browsers.

Google Chrome ... Firefox 3.5 ... Internet Explorer 8

This warning is not at the YouTube front page anymore. Instead they have posted an advertisement for Google Chrome:post-183045-1249171763_thumb.png

"Try YouTube in a new web browser! Download Google Chrome"

Maybe the message about IE6 was just intended to make people download Google Chrome.

Edited by Multibooter

Apparently some sites have a huge vendetta against IE6/5/*insert older browser+version here* and force you to upgrade if you wish to even use their site. Speaking against 'older browsers' like it's ruining the world and is against all humanity (sounds like a religious cult). Yes, viewing their site with an older broser is indeed commiting murder on companies and other sites alike *facepalm*.

If you were in the web design business, you'd understand their rage. But they should never block anyone.

There are very little CSS and even less Javascript code that woudln't work on IE6.

You are horribly wrong. Compare CSS support and DOM support between IE6 and other web browsers. If we look at just the summary, IE6 gets 51% for CSS2.1, while Firefox 3 gets 93%, and Opera 9 gets 94%. For DOM support, IE6 gets 50%, Firefox 2 gets 79% (FX3 is unknown), and Opera 9 gets 84%.

Edited by BenoitRen

Apparently some sites have a huge vendetta against IE6/5/*insert older browser+version here* and force you to upgrade if you wish to even use their site. Speaking against 'older browsers' like it's ruining the world and is against all humanity (sounds like a religious cult). Yes, viewing their site with an older broser is indeed commiting murder on companies and other sites alike *facepalm*.

If you were in the web design business, you'd understand their rage. But they should never block anyone.

Oh, I do understand their rage as I've made many efforts to support even IE3/NS4 in a couple projects of mine (not easy at times) but alot of it is biased. However, nothing stops them from just dropping support, putting a 'friendly' notice like YT or disclaimer that it won't render properly, and continue on supporting whatever browser they wish.

From what I know, the only reason they got such a vendetta (the aformentioned group) was due to a flaw in realplayers' activex control which was exploited by FF11 gold seller sites. An IE was most likely scapegoat in that matter (ala activex).

I think you guys are missing the point of all this 'forced browser upgrade'. I doubt that youtube devs really care what version of browser you use but after a certain amout of time, it does not remain feasible to test on a browser used by such a certain percentage of users. At this point they are supporting (at least) IE7/8, Firefox 1-3.5(AFAIK), Chrome, Safari, Opera and minor offshoots of each.

ok lets split this up. according to W3*, 14.9%, of that 14.9%(which sound high to me but it doesnt say how many of that 14.9% is to getfirefox.com :) ) How many users actually care that they are running IE6? How many of them even know what a browser is? If you could somehow round up every single one, offer them a 5$ if they could name the browser and version currently installed on their PC (hell offer them 1$ if they can name *A* browser) My guess if youd prolly still be able to make rent this month. Yes, everyone in this thread would get their hypothetical Abe Lincoln but how many others would even know how to change their browsers User Agent String if they attended a week long seminar "What your browsers UA says about you". My point is that i dont think Youtube thinks that EVERYONE using IE6 is computer ignorant but they know that the vast majority of them are and therefore will not upgrade unless they are 'forced' however the people in this thread impacted by this change will simply hack their UA and workaround any glitches.

*Yes youtubes stats likely vary from w3 but its just a number for us to start with

... however the people in this thread impacted by this change will simply hack their UA and workaround any glitches.
That's my opinion too.

Incidentally, I do like best my hacked user agent that says "Netscape 4.0 on CP/M-86 1.1"... too bad YouTube disagrees. :P

Just for future reference on the subject of browser share

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

is a very worthwhile resource, as it serves as an aggregate of all major browser share reporters (including W3C). It also has historic (pre-1999) data, which is interesting.

Additionally, 15% user share being attributed to IE6 is massive; only Firefox 3.0 (not 3.5) and IE7 are higher for given major browser version. That said, some sources still place IE6 as the version with the highest user share (at 27%).

Queue

Edited by Queue