ASUS TUSL2-C Problem

dmjalz

Post #26….1.44 Floppy Disk [DR-DOS]A:/

Post #28…. I have no floppy drive.

Sounds confusing to me.

I also suspect the hard drive and or cables. But I suggest checking it first with WD Diag before buying new because other problems can cause these symptoms

Loose connections. Take it apart and put it back together and make sure everything snaps into place.

The XP disk could have errors which could explain why 98se installed.

The cd rom drive could be on the way out, it might need cleaning or need upgraded firmware for XP.

Power supply could be too small or failing.

Video card incompatibility. Try it with a different card.

Post #26….1.44 Floppy Disk [DR-DOS]A:/

Post #28…. I have no floppy drive.

Sounds confusing to me.

1.44 Floppy Disk is his enumeration of his boot options. He does not actually have a floppy drive. Although, as you may know, you can still set your BIOS to indicate you have a floppy even though no device is attached as floppy drives are in no way PnP.

Edited by jcarle

"genuine intel x86 Family 6 model stepping 10" doesn't say much to me, you need to give us the speed in MHz for example, that's easy to find.

C'mon, hardware boy! ;) - it should have:

The Asus TUSL2-C board supports P3 processors, both coppermine and tualatin variants, runs the i815EP chipset with a max 512MB of RAM, and was released in 2001. Based on the partial processor spec, this is indeed a P3 CPU, but it could be a coppermine (model 8) or a tualatin (model 11). Stepping 10 didn't exist in Model 11, so it's not a P3 tualatin, meaning it's likely a coppermine at 1GHz (that's Family 6, Model 8, Stepping 10). Note that this could be a full P3 or Celeron at this speed, but that probably doesn't matter much in this situation given it's a 1GHz part.

Back to the OP:

Given the above, the only things I can think of that would hamper this machine running XP would be:

• lack of RAM (you have 384MB, so it should be OK)
  • slow hard disk (5400RPM, perhaps? 40GB HDD should be plenty large for XP)
  • hardware problems (less likely, but still possible considering your specs otherwise seem fine for XP)

1.44 Floppy Disk is his enumeration of his boot options. He does not actually have a floppy drive. Although, as you may know, you can still set your BIOS to indicate you have a floppy even though no device is attached as floppy drives are in no way PnP.

Ok, then Dr Dos must be on a rom chip on the motherboard or the XP cd has been tampered with.

I'm taking a wild stab at this being either a recovery CD from an OEM, or it's a warez'd copy of XP. Either way, the OP needs to give us detailed specs (including HDD RPM speed, etc) about his rig. Power Supply, HDD speed and size (and manufacturer), Video card (RAM and manufacturer), etc before we can really help. Also, I'd like to know the XP install disc is valid too, given the details. It sounds sketchy.

C'mon, hardware boy! ;) - it should have:

... meaning it's likely a coppermine at 1GHz (that's Family 6, Model 8, Stepping 10). Note that this could be a full P3 or Celeron at this speed, but that probably doesn't matter much in this situation given it's a 1GHz part.

:blink:

:blushing: Yes you are right, I should have known that it was a CU and not a TU based CPU, but as I didn't see the number 8 in his post I preferred to ask what the CPU type/speed was...