Windows 7 RC 64 bits Install Problem

pppx00

So I managed to obtain a RC copy of the Windows 7 64 bits version, but when I'm ready to start the installation I got this message:

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, cd dvd or usb flash drive please..."

I have looked on google and the unique Workaround to this is setting on the BIOS the device from SATA to IDE, but that option doesn't come on my Dell Inspiron 6400 and I can't even boot from a external DVD drive (yeah my laptop s*cks). Other method is from the USB, but I don't have one of 4GB :-(.

I was loking for a driver for this DVD Device (Optiarc AD5540A) but it appears that doesn't exist, just the generic ones that Microsoft have build in but I don't have it for Windows 7 or Vista, just for XP.

Any ideas? thanks in advanced.

Edited by pppx00

I haven't encountered a problem like this with any of my x64 installs. I have done both official (hard copy) beta and later releases without a problem. It likely doesn't care about the optical drive itself but the mass storage controller.

Are you using an ATAPI or SATA DVD drive?

Agreed - I've installed this on pretty old Dell laptops as well, without issue. Also, other people have publicly posted being able to install on the Dell Inspiron 6400, so either you've got a bad DVD drive (I'm guessing this isn't likely) or your burn to disc (or even the ISO you downloaded) is corrupted in some way.

All in all, I'd suggest a USB key install, but you've already mentioned that's out of the question currently. Also note that if you've got the ATI Mobility Radeon in that thing, the drivers aren't the greatest for it under x64, so you might want to consider x86 for that hardware as well.