AHCI/NCQ Problem

m16si

I just installed Windows 7 on my new HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB which supports NCQ.

I have a GigaByte EP-p35c-ds3r.

And i don't know how to turn on NCQ or AHCI i really don't know the diffrence because im new at this field. Earlier none of my disks supported NCQ.

Im really shooting in the dark here. I have enabled AHCI in bios but i just get a Blue Screen when booting to Win7.

Please help!

Thnx

Greetz Tine from Slovenia

i'm not sure if i remember this correctly but i know in XP at least you need to make sure AHCI was enabled prior to installing windows cause it might be used during SID generation and HAL stuff. i know they changed the HAL a lot in Vista and 7, so i don't know if this is still the case...i would try running a repair install with AHCI enabled if you're getting BSODs.

this MAY work (though probably not, and will most likely screw your entire install):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897418.aspx

regarding NCQ, make sure you install the latest working driver from Seagate, and you should be able to enable it in the device manager/device properties on the controller, assuming it is also enabled in the BIOS.

i will say this much: if you defrag regularly (and you should unless you have an SSD) in a non-server environment NCQ will yield no benefit. NCQ was designed for truly random access, eg where simultaneous random requests from 100 websites may need to be served from every platter and every sector of the drive in minimal time. a single user environment will never experience anything close to this on any but the most horribly fragmented volumes. if you're looking for speed, SSDs are where it is, or a WD Velociraptor / RAID setup.

my $0.02,

Leon

Edited by Leeoniya

This applies to XP, Vista and I think Windows 7 too:

You need to enable AHCI mode in your BIOS prior to installing Windows on it or change a registry value (to enable the AHCI driver) before restarting your computer to change the BIOS settings...

Read this from Microsoft regarding your problem.