xpize 5 Release 4

W3bbo

ccc45c4b.jpg

Hi

I'm having this problem with the sidebar in windows explorer. Xpize 5 seems to have changed only one item, and not the others.

Actually that is a little known bug with the luna royal and ms's install method.

He didn't place and rename shellstyle.dll properly.

What can I do to fix the bug? Sorry, i was not following the beta testing stages.

There is a string which shows the version number of the package like this: "(5,4)"

It is right, that we use the comma as dicimal separator - but in versioning of software, we use the period too.

I think this is the same in other languages as well. (Is the true people?)

Duly noted.

Then there is no possibility for selecting an *.anop or package.xml file any more.

It's hidden since the xpize package is the only one embedded in the installer. If you download the tools there's a copy of the Installer that doesn't hide it. It's only meant for people testing their packages.

So what is the difference between package and distribution now?

Can you please clear that up? - This will make finding the right translation easier. :)

Package = *.anop file that contains all the files and the package definition XML file. This requires a separate installer program to install.

Distribution = *.exe file that is the installer with an embedded package

I have to rephrase following sentence:

"An added layer of protection. Note this does not always protect against modifications made to non-Windows files under Program Files"

Could you please explain this a little more in detail?

is following right: if xpize does change something on files, which did not come with windows and they are located under program files, then the windows system restore feature will may not work?

That's right. TBH I haven't really tested the effiacy of System Restore, but it's preferable to use Anolis' built-in uninstaller rather than use System Restore. It's meant as a safety net if something really bad happens such that you can't use the uninstaller.

There are some strings, which I did translate - but they are still shown in English.

Because you mentioned this above, I think I don't have to make a list for you.

Please let me know, if you could need it although.

And I did find some two strings, which I did not localize:

Uninstall

Select the backup directory to recover from

creating system restore point

+ alle the strings on the page, where selecting all the components is possible

I did several improvements (rephrasing strings, changing some words, so that it better fits to its purpose...) - but I did this to the latest string table, which did not include the strings from your "Leftover Translations, 8 strings that time forgot..." post.

Can you please release the most current English resx file, so that I can deliver you a perfect language file? :)

I've since made some modifications to the de.resx file you sent to me, so I'll re-upload all of them later today.

Shell32.dll

My file has the size of 23.506.432 Bytes...

- On which "incompatibilities with some program" should I look for?

- Are there some known programs, which make problems? - So that I can test them?

It isn't a problem on English, German, or Spanish versions of Windows. I've heard it happens on the Russian version. I have no further intelligence.

additional suggestion:

auto selection of the latest backup folder on uninstallation

Restart after uninstallation

It already selects the right folder, it just needs the user to confirm to uninstall. I'll make this more clear in future.

That's a problem with the current strings. It says it'll restart but it doesn't. I've fixed this in my private builds.

I'll release xpize 5 Release 5 later, maybe in a month's time since the only changes would be in the installer code rather than the xpize package. If xpize 5 Release 4 works for you then there's no need to use Release 5.

But I have another problem with the sidebar on Luna Element theme:

sidebar.png

- the sidebar has a very big margin on the right side, wich isn't normal...

I can't seem to reproduce this on my computer. Are you using any custom display settings? I note you're already using large icon spacing.

Edited by W3bbo

Actually that is a little known bug with the luna royal and ms's install method.

I don't think I did anything wrong there. Can you advise me on how to correct it?

Every thing is A-ok on my setup.

Only one minor glitch so far has to do with what seems to be an alpha problem on the "Log-off user" and "Turn-off computer" windows. The corners of the buttons are grey/black instead of transparent. Not sure if XPize 5 is directly responsible, but I didn't see this problem in previous versions.

xpize5_01.png

xpize5_02.png

Every thing is A-ok on my setup.

Only one minor glitch so far has to do with what seems to be an alpha problem on the "Log-off user" and "Turn-off computer" windows. The corners of the buttons are grey/black instead of transparent. Not sure if XPize 5 is directly responsible, but I didn't see this problem in previous versions.

What options did you select on the "Modify Package" page?

Edited by W3bbo

It's hidden since the xpize package is the only one embedded in the installer. If you download the tools there's a copy of the Installer that doesn't hide it. It's only meant for people testing their packages.

Ok, that makes sense.

Package = *.anop file that contains all the files and the package definition XML file. This requires a separate installer program to install.

Distribution = *.exe file that is the installer with an embedded package

Ok, same like before.

So the he translation is for both -xpize and installer- at once. Got it!

I've since made some modifications to the de.resx file you sent to me, so I'll re-upload all of them later today.

I see. I think I have to puzzle our versions together again. ;)

Did you change the strings itself - or mostly other things (such as adding new strings like the 8 missing ones - or changing key words)?

If I load the latest English resx with my current German resx (which has not all strings) into the LocalTool, will this work?

I mean, will the LocalTool add the missing elements to the German version automatically (nontranslated of course)?

If not, this would be a really important request for the LocalTool. Then you do not have to worry about the translations any more:

just upload the latest English resx and the translators do all the rest. - This should be less work for you and the translator together. :)

Another suggestion for translation:

If there is a resx file in the same folder like the Installer or distribution, could it be used instead of the internal string table (e.g. as "external" entry in the language combobox)?

This would make the translator able to check his translation again and again, so that he can tune it until its perfect, without bothering you. The only thing, that you have to receive, will be the final and ready translated translation file - no early versions any more! :)

At this point a like to mention this other suggestion, which I requestet before:

* coloring the strings, which are already different (= already translated) on load in green. This would make translation of long string tables way easier (because it is possible to do the translation in several sessions, without such a high chance of missing a string).

* a search function would also be nice. (of course, this can be done half way also with sorting the columns, but a search function would still be nice)

(maybe you have some time left for this now, since did finally release the Release 4 ;))

PS: I did see, that you changed the "Durchsuchen..." string into "Durchsuche"... - Do you know some German, because that is correct too. :)

But if "Durchsuchen" (with the n) does also fit onto the button, it would be better to use this, because it fits more to the other standard button strings like "Abbrechen".

It isn't a problem on English, German, or Spanish versions of Windows.

Good to hear. :)

It already selects the right folder, it just needs the user to confirm to uninstall. I'll make this more clear in future.

Well, if I choose the second option, the textbox is empty...

I thougth, the path to the latest uninstall package could be placed there already (because many people may not know, where to find the right folder again)

That's a problem with the current strings. It says it'll restart but it doesn't. I've fixed this in my private builds.

Well, I did try it just one time. But think I can remember, that there was no string that said "Restart".

I noticed that, because it stated "Restart" after the installation process.

I'll release xpize 5 Release 5 later, maybe in a month's time since the only changes would be in the installer code rather than the xpize package. If xpize 5 Release 4 works for you then there's no need to use Release 5.

Did you pay attention to this?

I can't seem to reproduce this on my computer. Are you using any custom display settings? I note you're already using large icon spacing.

Well, I did install it on a VM which had Luna Element already installed. Maybe this did interfere with the Theme from the package...

Another thing is, that I had a nice Theme directly after installing xpize, but after switching between some themes, I cannot get the "after-install" theme back...

Furthermore I read often, that people like Luna Element 4 better than Luna Element 5. I never tried version 4, but maybe you should add this theme for these guys too.

Then there are still some 16 color icons in some deep system windows (computer management, event monitor and things like that).

This is not a big deal. I just noticed it stronger because all other icons are more polished now... ;)

The question is: is xpize supposed to replace all ugly icons, or just the most important ones?

PS:

Is there an easy way, to select parts from different themes? (like the taskbar from there, the startmenu from here, the window frame and tiltlebar from that theme and the explorer sidebar from this other one...) - Can your extra tools used for that?

Edited by MrBusty

I don't think I did anything wrong there. Can you advise me on how to correct it?

Simply grab the shellstyle.dll and place it in a folder named themes\royal\shell\normal\shellstyle.dll

Simply grab the shellstyle.dll and place it in a folder named themes\royal\shell\normal\shellstyle.dll

That already happens though. Unless some files aren't being installed properly?

Did you change the strings itself - or mostly other things (such as adding new strings like the 8 missing ones - or changing key words)?

Only a few minor things. But I also organised a few things too.

If I load the latest English resx with my current German resx (which has not all strings) into the LocalTool, will this work?

I mean, will the LocalTool add the missing elements to the German version automatically (nontranslated of course)?

If not, this would be a really important request for the LocalTool. Then you do not have to worry about the translations any more:

just upload the latest English resx and the translators do all the rest. - This should be less work for you and the translator together. :)

I don't understand what you're saying fully.

Another suggestion for translation:

If there is a resx file in the same folder like the Installer or distribution, could it be used instead of the internal string table (e.g. as "external" entry in the language combobox)?

This would make the translator able to check his translation again and again, so that he can tune it until its perfect, without bothering you. The only thing, that you have to receive, will be the final and ready translated translation file - no early versions any more! :)

I'm afraid that's not currently possible. It's a bigger undertaking than you think: *.resx files are compiled into *.resources files which are binary before being embedded in CLR executables. Whilst it is possible to read in a *.resx file at runtime and use as a source of resources, it would mean rearchitecting my current software which assumes the resource strings are all built-in. The strings are designed such that they won't need improvement.

At this point a like to mention this other suggestion, which I requestet before:

* coloring the strings, which are already different (= already translated) on load in green. This would make translation of long string tables way easier (because it is possible to do the translation in several sessions, without such a high chance of missing a string).

There's no need. You only need to identify strings that are the same (untranslated, in purple) or empty/null (undefined, in red). I think you're using an older build that doesn't have the purple color.

* a search function would also be nice. (of course, this can be done half way also with sorting the columns, but a search function would still be nice)

(maybe you have some time left for this now, since did finally release the Release 4 ;) )

I can easily add Sorting, but not Searching.

I did see, that you changed the "Durchsuchen..." string into "Durchsuche"... - Do you know some German, because that is correct too. :)

But if "Durchsuchen" (with the n) does also fit onto the button, it would be better to use this, because it fits more to the other standard button strings like "Abbrechen".

Don't tell me or post about it, just add it to your updated German table when I'm done. Your posts are long enough as it is.

It isn't a problem on English, German, or Spanish versions of Windows.

Good to hear. :)

Actually, I take it back. This may affect Spanish versions, based on the few anecdotal reports I've received.

Well, if I choose the second option, the textbox is empty...

I thougth, the path to the latest uninstall package could be placed there already (because many people may not know, where to find the right folder again)

Oh sorry. I was talking about when you uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs control panel. The text isn't filled in when you run the installer normally because there's no way of telling where the user saved the backup to (and before you suggest using a registry key, remember that different packages might be installed in different orders).

Did you pay attention to this?

Yes, and it's a minor bug in the Installer's code, nothing in xpize itself and so not a showstopper nor does it affect what the program actually does, that's why I'm saying it's not a big deal.

Well, I did install it on a VM which had Luna Element already installed. Maybe this did interfere with the Theme from the package...

Another thing is, that I had a nice Theme directly after installing xpize, but after switching between some themes, I cannot get the "after-install" theme back...

Furthermore I read often, that people like Luna Element 4 better than Luna Element 5. I never tried version 4, but maybe you should add this theme for these guys too.

Each visual style adds about a megabyte to the size of distribution. I'm tempted to remove the Embedded VS because it isn't that good. Should I also remove the Zune VS?

Then there are still some 16 color icons in some deep system windows (computer management, event monitor and things like that).

This is not a big deal. I just noticed it stronger because all other icons are more polished now... ;)

The question is: is xpize supposed to replace all ugly icons, or just the most important ones?

"As many as is possible". Remember, not every icon or toolbar button can be updated, see Wordpad for example, those toolbar buttons are hardcoded to 16-color and there's nothing I can really do about it.

Is there an easy way, to select parts from different themes? (like the taskbar from there, the startmenu from here, the window frame and tiltlebar from that theme and the explorer sidebar from this other one...) - Can your extra tools used for that?

You'd have to hack it together using a visual style editor. You can use Resourcer for that, but it's a lot of work.

Only a few minor things. But I also organised a few things too.

I don't understand what you're saying fully.

What I tried to say is, that the work of organising could be done with your local tool: it should just take the structure from en.resx...

I did make a test and voilá - this is, what your tool is already doing. :)

=> so it should be possible to start from my version, where I did change already several things.

I'm afraid that's not currently possible. It's a bigger undertaking than you think:

I see. Very understandable. - For the normal use of your program, this would be a senseless feature.

It would be cool for the translator and nice for you (because translators will not ask you again and again, to implement an updated version of their translation), but its not worth its effort I suppose.

There's no need. You only need to identify strings that are the same (untranslated, in purple) or empty/null (undefined, in red). I think you're using an older build that doesn't have the purple color.

Yes, the purple thing is exactly that, what I suggested.

I did use the build from your post, and there should be no newer link here.

Could you please release the newest build of the local tool also, when you are posting the latest string table?

I can easily add Sorting, but not Searching.

Ok, I see.

Sorting is already possible (for all: key, English and local strings).

I like your local tool. Stardock is also delivering a tool for translating their products - but yours is BETTER! :)

Don't tell me or post about it, just add it to your updated German table when I'm done.

Sorry for bothering you... but I am asking, because I don't want to bother you too much!

"Durchsuchen..." was too long, so you did cut it down to

"Durchsuche", but I think

"Druchsuchen" (with n) is better.

I would like to change it, because I think the 'n' fits with difficulty onto the button.

But if it doesn't, I had to change it back again. - And this would mean, that you have to update my local again.

I tried to avoid this... :blushing:

Your posts are long enough as it is.

Sorry, I am trying to give valuable feedback (at least for the most part).

And I am also trying to answer questions from other users, so that you don't have to waste your time with this...

Actually, I take it back. This may affect Spanish versions

Still good for me. :whistle:

Oh sorry. I was talking about when you uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs control panel. The text isn't filled in when you run the installer normally because there's no way of telling where the user saved the backup to (and before you suggest using a registry key, remember that different packages might be installed in different orders).

No, I hate registry keys. :)

But your program could check, if there is a valid uninstall package in the default folder (program flies\Anolis\).

If there is one, it could suggest the latest one.

This would help users, which did fast click (Next> Next> Next> Install>) through the installation process and cannot remember the location of the backup folders.

Yes, and it's a minor bug in the Installer's code, nothing in xpize itself and so not a showstopper nor does it affect what the program actually does, that's why I'm saying it's not a big deal.

Sorry. I did mention it, so that it does not become lost.

I think, that it is no big deal also...

wrong reply - my bad

Each visual style adds about a megabyte to the size of distribution. I'm tempted to remove the Embedded VS because it isn't that good. Should I also remove the Zune VS?

Well, if you would support Win 3.11 so that I might install it on my first pc (200MB HDD), I had to agree - but nowadays a MB is just a piece of cake.

I really like it to have the choice. Not only between themes, but also between different versions of one theme. - Luna Element is worth it.

But I have to agree with the Zune style - its not pretty at all!

"As many as is possible". Remember, not every icon or toolbar button can be updated, see Wordpad for example, those toolbar buttons are hardcoded to 16-color and there's nothing I can really do about it.

I see.

I will try to post a few screenshots in the next days. But I suppose most of the icons are not replacable.

You'd have to hack it together using a visual style editor. You can use Resourcer for that, but it's a lot of work.

What a pitty! :(