Copy of the i386 folder on the hard drive?

Back in the Windows NT/2000 days, I always copied the i386 folder to the hard drive because sooner or later, some setup program was going to need something from the Windows Setup CD. Or even just adding Windows Features somewhere down the road.

Does XP really need this?

If I want to do it, what's the best way to script it into the Windows Setup process with HFSLIP?

What if I run nLite afterwards to add drivers and tweaks?

Thanks.

Back in the Windows NT/2000 days, I always copied the i386 folder to the hard drive because sooner or later, some setup program was going to need something from the Windows Setup CD. Or even just adding Windows Features somewhere down the road.

Does XP really need this?

If I want to do it, what's the best way to script it into the Windows Setup process with HFSLIP?

What if I run nLite afterwards to add drivers and tweaks?

Thanks.

When your Windows File Protection cache is large enough, the i386 directory is rarely needed.

Regarding nLite, XP automatically adds drivers to its driver cache. Most tweaks are just registry settings, so there's not much to cache.

It's needed if he want's to add optional components. Adding a command like xcopy %source%\i386 %SystemDrive%\i386.

Umm... Perhaps my question was misunderstood.

What I thought I asked was the best way to have HFSLIP tell Windows Setup to copy files - in this case the i386 folder - to the hard drive during setup? I was looking for an answer such as "INF file", or "batch file", or post-setup command, etc, and which part of HFSLIP it should be added to.

I thoguht perhaps someone else may have done this and could offer me a suggestion.

Edited by spinjector

The fact that you are using HFSLIP to slipstream your source does not make this a HFSLIP question. Adding and runnnig of scripts, infs etc. is standard practice during installations therefore the topic has been moved to the more general Unattended area.

HFSLIP has documented location(s) for the placing of scripts, should you decide that this is the most appropriate route for you to take.

I was looking for an answer such as "INF file", or "batch file", or post-setup command

:yes: -X- told you:

xcopy %source%\i386 %SystemDrive%\i386

You can write this in a batchfile, e.g. "sourcecopy.cmd", place in $OEM$ beside the "cmdlines.txt" and add a line into it.

Edit: Remove this red backslash.

Edited by g-force

otay thanks all... i see what you're saying... i'll go back under my rock now with my little solar pocket calculator... i haven't figured out why yet, but for some reason it always stops working under there... ;)

i haven't figured out why yet, but for some reason it always stops working under there... ;)

Doesn't your rock has integrated LED lighting? :w00t:

Are you using last year's model? :unsure:

jaclaz

i haven't figured out why yet, but for some reason it always stops working under there... ;)

Doesn't your rock has integrated LED lighting? :w00t:

Are you using last year's model? :unsure:

jaclaz

No I tried to make a battery out of a lime and two coins, but my roommate kept stealing the limes for his beer, and the coins for the pony ride. =-)

It's needed if he want's to add optional components. Adding a command like xcopy %source%\i386 %SystemDrive%\i386.

It would also help to modify the Installation Sources value in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup. That way you won't have to tell Windows where the files are every time you need them.

It would also help to modify the Installation Sources value in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup. That way you won't have to tell Windows where the files are every time you need them.

Yessir. Already on that. Been doing that since Winblows 98, I think... =-)

Here's the way I add the Source to Windows XP 32bit during a scripted (winnt.sif/unattended.txt) installation, it works for server 2003 too. Note that I use Robocopy for the actual copy process and XP doesn't come with Robocopy.exe by default. I solve this problem by adding robocopy.exe to the \I386\$OEM$\$$\System32 directory on the installation source. Again, this is for a scripted installation - the script called from CMDLINES.TXT which launches it at T-12. The source files are copied from the temporary directories that are created during setup, and don't exist after setup is finished.

Hope this helps.

@ECHO OFF

ECHO - Creating Compressed Local Source
MKDIR %SystemRoot%\SOURCE >NUL
COMPACT /C %SystemRoot%\SOURCE >NUL

ECHO - Copying I386 to Local Source
ROBOCOPY ..\I386 %SystemRoot%\SOURCE\I386 /s /e /r:1 /w:1 /A-:RASH /XD WINNTUPG /XF WINNT.SIF /NP /NC /NS /LOG+:C:\SRCCPY.LOG > NUL

ECHO - Setting Registry Source Pointers
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /f /v "SourcePath" /d "%SystemRoot%\SOURCE\I386" >NUL
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /f /s _ /v "Installation Sources" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "%SystemRoot%\SOURCE_%SystemRoot%\SOURCE\I386_%SystemRoot%\SOURCE\I386" >NUL
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /f /v "SourcePath" /d "%SystemRoot%\SOURCE" >NUL
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /f /v "ServicePackSourcePath" /d "%SystemRoot%\SOURCE" >NUL
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Transaction Server\Setup(OCM)" /f /v "Source Path" /d "%SystemRoot%\SOURCE" >NUL
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC\Setup" /f /v "Source Path" /d "%SystemRoot%\SOURCE" >NUL
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3\Setup" /f /v "Source Path" /d "%SystemRoot%\SOURCE" >NUL

Hope this helps.

@ECHO OFF
<edit>

Thanks йδΐśέ... I love reading other people's bits of code. I always find something new or a different way to do something. B)

Edited by spinjector