Getting rid of files.....

Dude112

I think this is the best base for my thread,if it isnt,please move it :)

I got rid of ROXIO long ago and recently i found more "Adaptec" files..

I should be able to delete them all right?? (On the files that say "Adaptec" for company name (In properties))

Just trying to rid my computer of as many DLLs as i can......

Anyone have a list of files using by ROXIO (Adaptec) that i could delete?

Thanx :)

I think I would be inclined to leave them put unless you know they are causing problems, which I doubt they will be.

However AnalogX have a freeware program called DLL Archive, which will search for unused DLL entries and you can archive them and restore them again if they are needed.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/S...ch/Freeware.htm

I certainly do not advise just deleting them to save space.

HTH

Edited by lightning slinger

Ok i ran the file and had it scan my whole disk (Not just OS directory) and it found 153 dlls.

Is it safe to archive them??

I was gonna archive them and wait a few days and see if things run well,if so ill trash them.....

153 files to remove?

That's like a whole whole megabyte of space! That's worth almost one tenth of a penny these days.

I don't see why you'd waste a single second of your life over this, especially when there's potential to break several apps and even Windows itself (more time wasted reinstalling/fixing stuff)

Well just trying to keep things nice and tidy thats all :)

Its amazing how this program checks every DLL to see if it has a use anywhere on your computer!

Edited by Dude112

Well just trying to keep things nice and tidy thats all :)

It's not like having a handful of unused DLLs makes any difference. It just occupies a few sector of disk space, it really makes no difference, besides having 1MB extra on your hard drive to store something else (and if that's an issue, you're way overdue for a new drive). That kind of like sweeping one square inch (or less) of your floor on one level of your house.

Its amazing how this program checks every DLL to see if it has a use anywhere on your computer!

Except, it couldn't possibly know about them all for sure. You'd have to start every single app to know what DLLs are loaded dynamically (and those that might be loaded by those and so on).

Thats what i thought also buddy so i opened a couple applications (which loaded some DLLs) and then searched a 2nd time.. (I got the same number of DLLs (153))

It must check the file itself and see what APP it uses then checks to see if THAT APP is on your computer.....

Thats what i thought also buddy so i opened a couple applications (which loaded some DLLs) and then searched a 2nd time.. (I got the same number of DLLs (153))

Starting apps won't change anything.

It must check the file itself and see what APP it uses then checks to see if THAT APP is on your computer.....

Except, that's not how DLLs work at all...

Anyhow. Your call.

I just did a scan and i have 1290 dlls .. Having only 153 that arent used isnt much....

But think of it,1290 dlls!!! (Quite alot)

In total they take up 231.6 Megs!!

Edited by Dude112

But think of it,1290 dlls!!! (Quite alot)

In total they take up 231.6 Megs!!

LOL. That's nothing at all! I have barebones VMs with ZERO apps installed and they have 3x that many DLLs, totalling over 1GB. Makes me wonder if you're actually doing anything with your PC (there's obviously next to nothing on it).

Here's end the output from dir *.dll /s on this box (not a VM):

dlls.png

Yes, that's over 30000 of them, and a hair under 22GB (Windows + Program Files + Program Files (x86) a hair over 60GB). Although it's a few GBs less, as some of the assemblies in winsxs and the like are actually hard links instead.

And I don't even have half my tools installed. Not worried about it at all either.

and most of that crap you can thank IE for.

Not really. IE doesn't add startup process and such junk (unless you were referring to spyware). But then again, everything Apple makes does (and unwanted services too -- that junk even embeds itself in your TCP/IP stack) i.e. quicktime/itunes/safari, Java runtime does, chrome does, many adobe apps do (acrobat startup acelerator, adobe drive, version cue...) most printer drivers/sound drivers/video drivers do, many portable devices do (watching when the device is docked), tons of apps for "office" usage to (office accelerator, groove and so on -- not just MS' own), many apps add services (like disk defragmenters). Tons of other apps install annoying tray icons as well, plus a lot of shell extensions, the odd service and what not, a toolbar now and then (often optional), often without much of a reason to do so.

That junk actually makes a huge difference. I eradicate most of it using autoruns.