Laptop overheating constantly. Is this an OS issue?

adrian2055

The other possibility is that the thermal paste in between the CPU/NB/GPU and the heatsink may have dried up, or been improperly applied. If you go digging around on the internet, you'll find cases of the original Intel Macbook Pros having huge gobs of thermal paste under the heatsinks.

I had the same problem with a friend's Toshiba laptop. You can often find instructions on how to disassemble the laptop on the net. Once you've found them, take everything apart, remove the heatsink, clean it and the chips underneath, and apply a fresh layer of thermal paste. Doing this dropped my friend's CPU temperatures from about 70C to 55C.

• 3 weeks later...
The other possibility is that the thermal paste in between the CPU/NB/GPU and the heatsink may have dried up, or been improperly applied. If you go digging around on the internet, you'll find cases of the original Intel Macbook Pros having huge gobs of thermal paste under the heatsinks.

I had the same problem with a friend's Toshiba laptop. You can often find instructions on how to disassemble the laptop on the net. Once you've found them, take everything apart, remove the heatsink, clean it and the chips underneath, and apply a fresh layer of thermal paste. Doing this dropped my friend's CPU temperatures from about 70C to 55C.

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try this (and pray my laptop still works when I'm done). Since I can't return it to HP and I already obatined th restore dvds which did not help, and got a new desk this is my only option. I found teh guide online. I just gotta work up the courage to take it apart.

be careful, there are some who may bash you for this.

but i agree with you that it is a possibility.

i just took apart a dead computer and the thermal paste is completely dried and there is very little between then cpu and heatsink, plenty of metal showing.

be careful, there are some who may bash you for this.

but i agree with you that it is a possibility.

i just took apart a dead computer and the thermal paste is completely dried and there is very little between then cpu and heatsink, plenty of metal showing.

LOL. Yeah I remember that.

I have seen many Pentium 4's with absolute crap thermal grease, which is too think and/or too dry.

I have seen many Pentium 4's with absolute crap thermal grease, which is too think and/or too dry.
You have seen nothing yet! How about warranty stickers on top of the CPU and the cooler applied on top of them? :P

*caug* - VIVA Mexico - *caug*

You have seen nothing yet! How about warranty stickers on top of the CPU and the cooler applied on top of them? :P

*caug* - VIVA Mexico - *caug*

LOL again! I have seen one with a sticker on the outside plastic bit of the 478 socket, and part of the sticker was in between the cooler and CPU. Only about 0.5CM of sticker was in between though.