Laptop overheating constantly. Is this an OS issue?

adrian2055

Wait a sec.....I just thought of something. I started having these issues when I updated the bios. Could that be an issue? Maybe I should go back to the factory issued one.

Edited by adrian2055

You either have an incorrect driver, a bad fan (there is most likely more than one), or a clog in the cooling channel at some point, or a combination of all.

Also, today's laptops MUST be used on a flat surface...not on carpet or a bed, and even if it is on your lap, you have to be sure that your leg doesn't block the fan on the bottom if there is one. Even the rubber feet on the bottom of a laptop are critical these days because on a flat surface, the feet raise the laptop enough for airflow. If the feet are missing, the laptop drops down and the airflow is dramatically reduced.

It's true that changing the OS doesn't have a DIRECT effect, but unless the manufacturer of the laptop provides exact drivers for the OS you loaded, you may be running a driver that pushes your hardware, especially video, harder than it is designed to run. If you let Windows 7 pick it's own drivers, you are most likely in this boat.

I recommend you reload the laptop back to it's factory OS and settings using the recovery disks and THEN see if the problem is still there. I'm betting it won't be.

There are a few reasons why a laptop overheats:

*What surface are you using it on? if it is a bed or a couch etc you are blocking the circulation around the laptop

*Is the laptop close to something that is blocking the vents?

if I was you I would use a laptop stand which will lift your laptop off the surface and encourage cool air to flow.

Edited by Chosen1985

Yes, it can run any 64 bit OS just fine. That makes absolutely no difference.

Your computer while sitting idle is at temperatures far higher than any of my boxes ever have reached (in some cases, with 100% CPU load for several days straight!) That's not normal, and no OS can be blamed for that, nor drivers or anything like it.

Time to get a RMA #.

Oh I hate to do that. The last time I did that Dell stripped my laptop of its good parts and re-sold them. I got my pc back with refurbished parts which died less than a month after I sent it back. I've been scared to send a pc back to the company since that happened, but I guess I have no other option in this case.

You either have an incorrect driver,

An incorrect driver does NOT raise the temps over 85 °C (192 °F). This is caused by bad hardware, a broken fan is most likely.

Not true. A driver could put the video into overdrive and easily drive the temperature to those levels. Been there.

If it is like "macgyvr" tells us, booting into "Safe Mode" (F8) could make a difference.

Also an "Ubuntu-Live-CD" shouldn`t heat up the PC like that.

Give it a try - it`s for free.

After doing some research on my own (I called hp, but the reps, I talked to several, told me that they couldn't and wouldn't help me because I violated my warranty by installing the 64-bit version of vista and upgrading the memory from 2GB to 4GB which they believe messed up the laptop..................................WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?) I found out that I'm not the only person having this issue with this model. The fan is not bad. The problem is they only installed one small fan per unit :crazy::blink::thumbdown :angrym: :wacko::angry::realmad: on the side of the laptop which naturally causes it to remain hot since the fan is a low powered one and it can't cool the rest of the laptop. Now I managed to cool things down myself by changing certain power settings, but the only answer to this problem is to install a higher powered fan if one is available. Let this be a lesson to you guys. Do more research before you buy. This could have been avoided.