Laptop overheating constantly. Is this an OS issue?

adrian2055

Reccently I started having issues with my laptop overheating. I'm told this is an os issue, but I'm not sure. Now my laptop came with vista home premium 32-bit, but I moved to the 64-bit version. It overheated on both. I was told to try a different version so I purchased the ultimate upgrade dvds and installed it. Unfortunately it did the same thing. It gets extremely hot (can barely touch it) and sometimes shuts off to prevent damage. I was told that I needed to use the version that's best for my computer based on the specs and I was hoping you guys could help me out with that. I want to sitck with the 64-Bit version so I can utilize all my memory.

Here's my specs:

2.00 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-62 Dual-Core Processor

1MB L2 Cache

4 GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 8200M (Video Memory Up to 895MB)

250GB Hard Drive (5400RPM)

SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

15.6" Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768)

56k modem

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

802.11b/g WLAN

5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader

What version do you think I shoud use based on my specs (I have a license for home premium and ultimate)?

Definitely not an OS issue. An OS itself doesn't make a computer overheat. Changing OS to anything else won't fix that either.

Besides, the hardware should be able to withstand 100% CPU usage (and the heat associated with it) for a few hours. If it doesn't, then it's cooling (design) is inadequate. You just can't build a computer, expecting someone won't actually make use of it.

That being said, dust build up, blocked vents (depending on how you hold it) and such could be an issue too. Laptops do normally get kind of warm after a while, they have special coolers for them, but it shouldn't ever get to the point where it actually shuts down because of heat.

Sounds like the guy who was "helping" you had no clue.

Definitely not an OS issue. An OS itself doesn't make a computer overheat. Changing OS to anything else won't fix that either.

Besides, the hardware should be able to withstand 100% CPU usage (and the heat associated with it) for a few hours. If it doesn't, then it's cooling (design) is inadequate. You just can't build a computer, expecting someone won't actually make use of it.

That being said, dust build up, blocked vents (depending on how you hold it) and such could be an issue too. Laptops do normally get kind of warm after a while, they have special coolers for them, but it shouldn't ever get to the point where it actually shuts down because of heat.

Sounds like the guy who was "helping" you had no clue.

That's what I thought. I had a feeling he didn't know what the heck he was talking about. He said that because it doesn't do that with win7 build 7100 when we installed it on my laptop. I guess he assumed that was the problem. The bad part is this guy owns a PC repair shop. I feel bad for his customers. So it's the PC's cooling design that's the issue. Dang, is there a way to fix that on a laptop or am I screwed?

In XP one time I forgot to integrate the correct drivers for my AMD X2 3800+ Socket 939.

It got definitly hotter than with the correct driver. So it can be an software-issue.

But I don`t think so - it`s surely like CoffeeFiend told you - clean up everything

and control the vents if they are running. Run Everest to see which hardware

runs into overheating.

It got definitly hotter than with the correct driver. So it can be an software-issue.

Hotter without power saving features (ACPI)? Sure. That's normal. But not to the point where it would shut down.

He said that because it doesn't do that with win7 build 7100 when we installed it on my laptop.

Perhaps the Vista OEM image loaded on your laptop is loaded with crapware (something a lot of OEMs love to do -- norton garbage and what not; they usually get paid for it), so that would make it run hotter, malware might be an issue too, but it shouldn't make it so hot that it would shut down by itself. I can have my boxes peaked at 100% CPU usage for several days straight and it still won't do that...

Hotter without power saving features (ACPI)? Sure. That's normal. But not to the point where it would shut down.

He said that because it doesn't do that with win7 build 7100 when we installed it on my laptop.

Perhaps the Vista OEM image loaded on your laptop is loaded with crapware (something a lot of OEMs love to do -- norton garbage and what not; they usually get paid for it), so that would make it run hotter, malware might be an issue too, but it shouldn't make it so hot that it would shut down by itself. I can have my boxes peaked at 100% CPU usage for several days straight and it still won't do that...

I got rid of the OS image as soon as I got the laptop. I didn't use any of the crap that came with it. I did a clean istall of vista home premium and still had this issue. Now one thing I did see when I went into the bios is that the fan is set to run all the time (default setting) instead of when it gets hot. Could that be some of the problem?

Edited by adrian2055

I have everest and siw installed. Can someone tell me what I'm looking for?

I thought I would point out that I've been running win7 for a few hours and my pc is barely warm. Maybe there was something wrong with my vista install

thanks. it's kinda hot.

16ixedx.png

This is when it's luke warm so I know the temps are much hotter than this when it shuts off. Could an antivirus program cause issues? I use panda antivirus, but I don't have it installed right now.

Edited by adrian2055

adrian2055, like Kel said: This is way TOO high!

It should be half of those temperatures. If these are the temperatures when the laptop

is runnung under Win7, and they rise under Vista, then please consult your dealer.

Before it`s too late...

adrian2055, like Kel said: This is way TOO high!

It should be half of those temperatures. If these are the temperatures when the laptop

is runnung under Win7, and they rise under Vista, then please consult your dealer.

Before it`s too late...

Dang, OK, I'll contact HP/Compaq and see if I can get something done. Even with the pc sitting still for over an hour it's still the same temp. I hope they actually cooperate.