Windows XP Slipstream Issues

Hackez

Hackez, please tell us how you created your XP install without ANY modifications. If you used nLite, please attach your Last Session. Also tell us more about your source. How was the SP(s) added? Please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of the source folder. Are you quickly multi clicking as -X- is doing? If so, I don't think it is a surprise that a file is busy. I would like you to respond to my suggestions of running Process Explorer (link in my previous reply) and tell us what program has a handle to the file. Enjoy, John.

I downloaded Windows XP SP3 straight through MSDN and verified the ISO's integrity with a checksum utility. (SHA1 & MD5) Hence it was never modified from the original Microsoft release. Thus the service pack(s) are already integrated.

With regards to which control panel I'm using, it's classic. I used two different mice and slowly clicked it once. It worked fine. Waited 5 seconds, clicked it once again and bam the error came up. (Hence I'm not quickly clicking or spamming User Accounts)

Perhaps as others have mentioned in this thread this is just a bug that Microsoft has yet to fix. As to why I can replicate this issue on my desktop but not my laptop when they both are running Windows XP SP3 remains a mystery.

I will try the Process Explorer when I get some free time and post the results. I will also fiddle with some optional windows updates and drivers to see if I can eliminate the error.

post-145098-1248136661_thumb.jpg

Videocard: Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 920

Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

Memory: 4GB DDR2 800 <------------------------- 4 GB RAM

Soundcard: Creative Inspire T3100

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 700W

Try to remove one of two RAMs, down to 2 GB.

With regards to which control panel I'm using, it's classic. I used two different mice and slowly clicked it once. It worked fine. Waited 5 seconds, clicked it once again and bam the error came up. (Hence I'm not quickly clicking or spamming User Accounts)

If removing some ram doesn't solve the problem, can you try running User Accounts via the keyboard and see if the problem appears? I can't duplicate it by clicking Enter real fast.

I was hoping to find a more definitive answer but I'm glad you got it sorted. :thumbup Now I got more experiments on my to do list. :thumbdown

• 2 years later...

After installing IE8 and all .NET Framework packages via Windows Update the error has vanished completely.

So it seems MS did resolve the issue, but not via a direct hotfix.

I've just seen the same issue and found that only one update was required to fix it: IE8.

well, actually, just to get Windows Update to allow me to install IE8 required two other updates:

KB898461, the update that installs a permanent copy of the Package Installer

and

An update for Windows Genuine Advantage

But I verified that those updates had nothing to do with correcting the issue. It was all IE8 (I did mark the checkbox during the IE8 install that causes it to install updates, so that could be required...perhaps RTM IE8 sans updates would not be sufficient to correct the bug).

***Update***

I reinstalled and downloaded the IE8 install (rather than using Windows Update or Microsoft Update). This allowed me to have IE8 literally be the only thing updated and this time I did NOT mark the checkbox to install updates. It fixed the issue.

So all you need to do to work around the Control Panel > User Accounts script error is install IE8.