Windows XP Slipstream Issues

Hackez

I have been doing Windows XP slipstreams for quite some time and haven't had any issues. However, upon installing my latest slipstream onto my new gaming desktop I keep running into an issue that's frustrating me. I even burned a new slipstream to rule out a disc error.

I start with a Windows XP SP2 source disk and slipstream SP3 in. After that I add Xable's SP3 Update Pack. (With tweaks, etc.)

The installation runs flawlessly but upon loading windows and going into the control panel issues begin.

When I try to open User Accounts I get the following error...

-----

Internet Explorer Script Error

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 4

Char: 1

Error: Access is denied.

Code: 0

URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\nusrmgr.cpl/nusrmgr.hta

-----

I can hit yes and still access user accounts, but I'm worried about system stability as this error reoccurs every time I attempt to access it. Can anyone provide a possible solution? I have attached my session file so if anyone can help me pin down the issue I'd appreciate it. Stability is an important concern of mine.

Thanks

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by Hackez

EDIT: Spoke too soon. I managed to get my XP to show the bug and I'm on SP3 so I guess it hasn't been fixed. I had to double click fast on a few links before I got the script error. Maybe your mouse is acting up?

Are you running nLite twice? Your last session shows SP3, not SP2, as the source.

This is your exact problem but it's for SP2.

When you open Control Panel and then click User Accounts many times in quick succession, you may receive the following error message:

Internet Explorer Script Error

An error has occurred in the script in this page.

Line: 4

Char: 1

Error: Access is denied

Code: 0

URL: res://C:\Windows\system32\nusrmgr.cpl/nusrmgr.hta

Do you wish to continue running scripts on this page?

When you click either Yes or No in response to this message, the User Accounts dialog box opens.

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

APPLIES TO

* Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, when used with:

o Microsoft Windows XP Professional

o Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;886617

Edited by -X-

Hackez, I think it is trying to says that file C:\WINDOWS\system32\nusrmgr.cpl/nusrmgr.hta is in use. It might be useful to know what program is using the file. I use Process Explorer to determine this. Have you run nLite more than once against the same source? I see nothing obvious with your Last Session, but you have made many removals tweaks including many changes to services and I know nothing about your Update pack. Are you able to test under a virtual system? You may need to do some trial and error testing. There are lots of hits on nusrmgr.hta in Google and one here. They seem to be concerned with an AV going off on the file. Please take at look at these. Enjoy, John.

I did integrate SP3 separately from the Update Pack and tweaks. Should I do it all in one run? Could this be the source of my issues?

From what I can tell my SP2 source isn't the cause of the issue. (I've been using it for years without issues) The SP3 Update Pack has been used by the masses without any issues as well. So I think that narrows it down to either my integration method or a tweak/removal I used?

I can rule out the mouse for sure by just switching to a wired one I suppose for testing purposes.

I used Google on the error and didn't really find any helpful information. =\

Hackez, did you try searching for nusrmgr.cpl? There are lots of hits on AVs. Are you running an AV? I assume yes, have you tried turning it and other security SW off and trying? When I do this, I unplug my modem to protect me from the Internet bad guys. Have you tried Process Explorer to see what SW has the file, nusrmgr.cpl? If nothing shows up, then the first thing I suggest you try is a single run of nLite to do all your work. I really already gave you my standard in the other thread, so here it is again, please make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

I'm not running any AV at the moment on this computer as its still a fresh install so the internet isn't connected. (Thus no risk of infection) Plus I have an airtight security setup on my router.

I ruled the mouse out by using another one, so that's not it. I noticed that every time I opened User Accounts a process started called mshta.exe...

If I kept opening User Accounts (even slowly, rather than rapid succession) multiple instances would launch. It got to the point where there were fifteen copies of it running. I checked my other slipstreamed computer and could not replicate this result. (And it doesn't experience the error mentioned at the beginning of this thread)

I just obtained a clean untouched copy of Windows XP SP3 straight from MSDN and verified it was the real deal. Hopefully this new source will resolve my issue.

If this doesn't eliminate the issue I believe Xable's SP3 Update Pack could be to blame. (Unless any of you see potential issues with my removals/tweaks?)

Edited by Hackez

Sigh...I'm now at a complete loss. I installed Windows XP SP3 without ANY modifications and the error is STILL showing up. So it's almost as if it has to do with the hardware of my new desktop? Could it be a BIOS option causing issues with XP?

Videocard: Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 920

Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

Memory: 4GB DDR2 800

Soundcard: Creative Inspire T3100

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 700W

Any tips, tricks or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know how much help this will help but I can reproduce your earlier post about opening multiple user accounts. Though, I had to click fast. Notice how many mshta.exe's are running.

windowclipping12.th.png

EDIT: After posting this, I realized I had one error for each instance of mshta.exe....

EDIT #2: ...which each error applying to me double clicking it fast.

I still think it's a Windows bug but somehow it's manifesting itself more on your system.

Edited by -X-

I got it to do it even on a virtual machine. See....

If you are not already in classic view, switch your control panel to that and see if it still does it. Category view only requires a single click so it's easier to trigger the bug. If you are clicking in a normal fashion and triggering it, I still think it has something to do with your mouse or how your system is catching the mouse clicks.

Edited by -X-

Hackez, please tell us how you created your XP install without ANY modifications. If you used nLite, please attach your Last Session. Also tell us more about your source. How was the SP(s) added? Please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of the source folder. Are you quickly multi clicking as -X- is doing? If so, I don't think it is a surprise that a file is busy. I would like you to respond to my suggestions of running Process Explorer (link in my previous reply) and tell us what program has a handle to the file. Enjoy, John.