GDI Heap Extender

What about rpxbeta3? See Tihiy's Aug 27 post. Is it more stable than rpxbeta2?

Beta3 was a very specific test release for one person's problem testing.

It was never intended for general use.

So... Beta1 is still the most stable release.

sometimes when switching between fullscreen DOS programs and windows, I get this kind of GFX corruption :

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/21/187...GFXmessedUp.jpg

it seems its more likely caused by the GFX drivers than anything else, but it's not happening when RP9 is not present. It happens sometimes though.

Also, is there any possibility to have something like "save states" in video game emulators, i.e when windows boots up, you store that state somwehre, and later on if resources get drained etc. you use that state to restore normal operation of things ? It would probably require one to shut off all programs that are running...

...and when there's any window open from Miranda IM, the RPconfig will not become visible.

• 1 month later...

When I am using Bear and the original WIN 98SE Ressource Meter at the same time, I get 3 times the same values, but the values for GDI and User Ressiruces are inverted in two programs. Very strange !

How can I know what is the real GDI usage and what is User ressources usage ?

Thanks

Rodger

• 1 month later...

Beta1 is still the most stable release.
I don't know, how you can say that. I tried B1 and 2, they both sucks, hanging my PC almost every time I click on any icon on the desktop or open a program window from Tray. Tihiy appears to abandon all his projects without finishing long time ago. May be someone would be interested to pickup where he left, fix the bugs and finish the project. It looks like a valuable tool to me, if working correctly. I've RP 9.1 installed and working OK, but taking even more dedicated memory (which is tiny by default) than without it. Edited by simco51

Tihiy appears to abandon all his projects without finishing long time ago.
Well not really. I just shifted focus to other things (KernelEx for example). There is no point releasing new betas unless this thing is stable; finishing this thing requires dedicating extreme effort which is not feasible for me. I'm sorry for that, but I never claimed this thing as usable. I don't see critical problems with RP9 so your point is invalid.

• 1 year later...

Any idea where i can download rpXbeta1.zip?

I wanted to test it on Opera since at least one of pages that i visit have so much graphical and flash content,

that it freezes my pc (with 768MB RAM).

All links that are in this topic show error 404.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Tihiy and hello dear win9x forum!

The GDI heap extender beta 1 or 2 can be installed over the RP9.7.2 or only over RP9.1.0?

Thank you.

I41Mar

This project was a test release for RP 9.1.0.

Newer RP versions like 9.7.2 replace most of the files from this test release with different and newer builds.

So, to directly answer your question, it can only be used with RP 9.1.0.

Newer RP releases have some heap optimisation technology built in that does improve resource use.

Not as much as this test release, but at least it is stable.

• 2 weeks later...
...adding line in win.ini section [windows]

[windows]
GDIMaxHeapSize=2048
(value in KB)

I would think of values like:

<128MB of RAM: 4096 (4MB)

128-256MB of RAM: 8192 (8MB)

256-512MB of RAM: 16384 (16MB)

>512MB of RAM: 32000 (~32MB, maximum value you can set).

Well, none of the GDI Heap Extender links work anymore, including the recommended Beta 1, however, I've tried the above 'win.ini' setting (set to 8192) and it's improved stability markedly, particularly, Shutdown no longer hangs. :)

Joe.

Edited by jds

Well, these tricks are rather old now.

They were given by Tihiy and dencorso,

but with the heap optimisation built in last RP (and KernelEx?), do we actually need them?

BTW jds, Tihiy said later that it is inadvisable to allow more than 4 MB to GDIMaxHeapSize as it may deplete too much selectors.

but with the heap optimisation built in last RP (and KernelEx?), do we actually need them?

BTW jds, Tihiy said later that it is inadvisable to allow more than 4 MB to GDIMaxHeapSize as it may deplete too much selectors.

Thanks for the heads-up about that selectors thing, even if I don't quite know what it means.

However, Tihiy didn't specifically say that setting the heap limit above 4M would cause a problem, simply that RP10 would default to 4M and that setting too high a limit may deplete selectors. How high a limit would cause problems is not specified, although we can infer that it is somewhere above 4M. Anyway, I'm still learning these old tricks and simply report my finding, that setting the limit to 8M (on two machines now) has made a noticeable improvement to stability.

Joe.

However, Tihiy didn't specifically say that setting the heap limit above 4M would cause a problem

You are right.

For my part, I have tried with 4 MB for USER & GDI and doesn't see a real difference.

So, Tihiy if you are here what would you recommend currently for those tricks? :w00t: (with last builds of RP & KernelEx already installed). :D

However, Tihiy didn't specifically say that setting the heap limit above 4M would cause a problem

You are right.

For my part, I have tried with 4 MB for USER & GDI and doesn't see a real difference.

So, Tihiy if you are here what would you recommend currently for those tricks? :w00t: (with last builds of RP & KernelEx already installed). :D

Well, if you use RP, this defaults to 4MB for the GDI heap, so setting this explicitly would make no difference.

As for myself, I should mention that I'm running KernelEx but not RP. Since RP has an inbuilt version of the "GDI Heap Extender", the GDI heap requirements would be lower than for a system without RP (such as mine). I should also mention that 8MB was the one and only setting I've tried, it is possible that a 4MB setting would also be sufficient to exhibit markedly improved stability.

Joe.

Edited by jds

• 9 months later...

Tihiy appears to abandon all his projects without finishing long time ago. May be someone would be interested to pickup where he left, fix the bugs and finish the project.

I'm hoping for the same thing. I don't use anything this guy create because he never finishes no matter what.

Thanks for the heads-up about that selectors thing, even if I don't quite know what it means.

However, Tihiy didn't specifically say that setting the heap limit above 4M would cause a problem, simply that RP10 would default to 4M and that setting too high a limit may deplete selectors. How high a limit would cause problems is not specified, although we can infer that it is somewhere above 4M. Anyway, I'm still learning these old tricks and simply report my finding, that setting the limit to 8M (on two machines now) has made a noticeable improvement to stability.

Joe.

Well, there is a problem... While I used 16M for both GDIMaxHeapSize and USERMaxHeapSize, I had this issue, which went away when I fell back to 4096. However, since RP calls the Windows native LDT cleanup when LDT is lower than 20%, you won't normally notice that issue, except for the red light. But it's much better to avoid having the LDT cleanup routine (which Tihiy deems not that effective anyway) called more sparingly, to avoid unnecessary system processing, so 4M is the best value to use for both.